HotPot requires "register" before I can edit

HotPot requires "register" before I can edit

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Number of replies: 7
I purchased the HotPot module about a year ago. Now when I go to edit a HotPot quiz, I can see the first three questions, and then I get a window that says: "You must register this copy of Hot Potatoes before you may take this action."

How do I get past this obstacle? Thanks so much.
Rosemary Camilleri
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rosemary Camilleri

Re: HotPot requires "register" before I can edit

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rosemary. I presume you are talking about editing hotpotatoes offline, rather than anything you do within Moodle? And when you say you purchased the HotPot module - do you mean you bought a licence from Half Baked software to use HotPotatoes in Moodle? Normally what happens when you download HotPotatoes is that it will only let you edit a few questions before you have to register it - it is a 2 minute job and only needs doing once. Hotpotatoes is now free and all you need to do is choose a username and you can carry on. Did you use Hotpotatoes successfully with a lot of questions last year or have you only just begun to use it? (Sorry to ask more questions rather than give you answers, but I am just trying to get to the bottom of it!)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Thanks very much Mary.
Yes, I was trying to edit a hotpotatoes jquiz offline.
I purchased a HotPot license from Half Baked software and paid $70 for it. ( I know it's now free.) I answered the questions and registered my Hotpotatoes. I have used it successfully over the last year within my Moodle courses.

Perhaps I should only edit within Moodle? Or..?
Thanks again for your help.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosemary Camilleri -
One other thing has changed since I could edit my HotPot quizzes: I am using a new computer now (still a Mac, but a faster one). Could my new computer have failed to save some registration code? Or...?
Since Hot Pot is no longer supported, I don't guess I can go back to the makers and ask to reregister?
I have located a printed copy of my confirmation-of-purchase from halfbaked software, a confirmation that contains my key (code) and username.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I suspect it's because you are on a new computer Rosemary- I am sure if you contacted them you can re-register or else just download the free version . Although it is not supported anymore they are still active on the dedicated help forums on yahoo here http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hotpotatoesusers/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Mary,
Thank you so much. I will seek to re-register with Half Baked Software, and will take advantage of the user forum on yahoo.
Rosemary

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Rosemary,
as Mary says, you are being asked to register on the Mac because the Mac knows nothing about the registration you did last year on your PC.

However, I don' t think you need to contact HBS. I suggest you just download the latest version of the software, which as you know is now free, and simply enter a "username", any username will do, the first time you run the software. After that you will be able to proceed without further ado smile

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Rosemary Camilleri -
Thank you, Gordon. I went to HBS to "register" but found that the procedure you recommended was the only feasible one. It works just fine. I am back in business with my HotPot quizzes. Thanks again to you and to Mary.

Rosemary