Help calculating a category total

Help calculating a category total

by Doris Johnson -
Number of replies: 8
I would like to calculate the average of a category. I have entered the formula =average (quiz1, quiz2, quiz3, quiz4) . Three of the quizzes have been taken, 1 hasn't been taken. How do I keep the calculation from including the quiz that the students haven't taken?
In reply to Doris Johnson

Re: Help calculating a category total

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Doris,
Do you have Mean as one of the possible aggregation methods for a category?
If so, I would not use forumulas. Instead I would put those quizzes in a cateogry, set aggreagation to Mean and mark "Aggregate only non-empty grades" checkbox for it.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Doris,

"Thanks for the help. I do have Mean as one of the aggregation methods. When I change the aggregation to mean, I just get total points. I must be doing something wrong. Will moodle give an average of a category for each student?"

Try to adjust Category Total to the maximum amount of points possible.
E.g. if you have 2 quizzes out of 25 points each, then set Category Total to 25

p.s. I am not that good at math blush, so please correct me someone if I am wrong smile

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Doris
If I understand your query correctly you're wanting to aggregate the non-empty grades within the category. Ticking the "Aggregate only non-empty grades" option within the Category settings will ignore quiz1 and only aggregate quizzes 2, 3 and 4. When the other quiz is taken the score will be added to the aggregation.
I hope this helps (and that I've understood correctly)
Cheers
Teresa

In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Doris Johnson -

Yes, that is what I would like to do but I need an average grade for each student for the category. When I enter a calculation in the category total, it seems to ignore the “aggregate only non-empty grade”.  

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Doris,
Have you tried my suggestion above? smile
(Do not use calculator/formulas at all, but put quizzes in a category, set aggregation to Mean, check the "Aggregate only non-empty grades", and then set Category Total to max grade possible - 10 in the screenshot attached). I believe it will work that way.
Attachment 01Scr_Jul._31_08.39.jpg
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Doris Johnson -
Ok, I think I have figured out what might be wrong. Our nursing department is using moodle for gradebook only. No assignment, quiz, nothing will be done inside moodle.  I am manually making the grade item in the gradebook. I think this is why I am not getting an average in the category total. When I went to the frontpage and manually made 3 assignments. I was able to manually enter a grade and get an average in the category total by using your instructions. So, if you manually enter a grade item in the  grade book, it will not give you an average in your category total. Is that correct?

by Elena Ivanova -
The items in my sample are actually Manual items, which were added directly via the gradebook smile
I am wondering if you have accidentally overrode category total somehow via Grader report, or if some calculations are still taking place (check Categories and Items interface - if any item or category has calculator icon on the left, or if some calculator icon is darker then the rest on the right, then it can serve as tip that some formulas are still being used there)