Quizzes with hints

Quizzes with hints

by Richard Chui -
Number of replies: 4
Is it possible to create quizzes with hints? For instance, if a student can answer a question without asking for any hint, he/she will score 3 pts. Asking for each hint will automatically reduce the score by 1 pt. etc etc.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Chui

Re: Quizzes with hints

by Jeff Forssell -
This is also something I miss a bit from a question kind I used BM (before Moodle). (Though I'm not interested in the scoring part. I use quizzes mainly for teaching)

There are a some things one can do:

You can put in a WILDCARD answer alternative * or *. that has feedback that gives a hint. If the person doesn't give any of the prepared possible right and partially right answers, s/he will get this feedback. If that helps them to one of the other alternatives, they can give more hints. Moodle lets you choose a penalty for each answer that isn't the "absolutely 100% right" one.

One might be able to have in the wildcard answer: one hint plus "if you need another hint write the answer hint (or if a numerical question 4321 or something else that isn't an expected answer)" and than you put in an answer: hint or 4321, with the next hint in the feedback for that answer. If you have 3 pt and remove one for each hint you won't have to have any more.

I have been able to to put in some step by step revealed hints with a suitable JavaScript. (But using javaScript in Moodle, even as a teacher, can need some special steps: getting "trusted" status from your administrator, turning off the HTML editor.) This path will also NOT diminsh the grade for each hint gotten.

The Regular Expression question type (plugin now, built-in from 2.0) gives the possibility of giving all kinds of feedback.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Another awesome idea Jeff. I am definitely going to try this! smile Thans!
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Jeff Forssell -
Maybe living climates where you must prepare for the long dark winters (Alaska and Sweden) leads to similar viewpoints!

Wish I could get the "feedback for all elements" going now that I know that someone's rooting for it. Trying to Learn NetBeans CVS and PHP all at once is a bit over whelming. (Improving the specs, I can't make up as many excuses for blush )

Thanks for the rating!
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Yes maybe the cold climate is the connection smile Wow - can not imagine learning all of those things. You are way out of my league but good luck with your efforts and thanks for all your valuable contributions thus far. I will continue to be a "cheerleader" smile Wish I could contribute more but game to do some testing when the time comes.

Cheers!