Wondering if you are aware of this method of "cheating"

Wondering if you are aware of this method of "cheating"

by Eric Hagley -
Number of replies: 4
I'm using 1.9.3.
I have looked at the forums here and seen that there are a number of forums on "cheating". I was wondering if you knew that students, after completing a quiz and hitting the "submit all and finish" button, can then (depending on the settings) see which answers are correct, note them, then click the "back" button on their browser, go back and change the answers and then click the "submit all and finish" button again. Their new grades will be recorded (generally always 100% and done in a very short space of time). Is this a session key issue? Is it only on 1.9.3?

I set my quizzes at "average grade". I do so to encourage students to revisit the quiz for learning. If they take the quiz again and do better, their overall grade for it will rise. However, they generally do the "hit the back button" trick and increase their average grade in that way. The article a number of people mentioned is of interest to me, and the points it raises are very important. I do wonder if my thinking re: the average grade setting is making "Cheating ... more common when students experience the academic tasks they’ve been given as boring, irrelevant, or overwhelming. In two studies of ninth and tenth graders, for example, “Perceived likelihood of cheating was uniformly relatively high . . . when a teacher’s pedagogy was portrayed as poor.”" I would like to think not but would be interested in others' opinions too. I would like to see this backdoor method of achieving superficially higher grades closed if possible too!

Many thanks in advance for your consideration, and as always many thanks to all those who do such a marvelous job developing Moodle.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Hagley

Re: Wondering if you are aware of this method of "cheating"

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am surprised that method of cheating works. I would expect to see an error like 'This quiz attempt is already closed' the second time they click submit.

Ah, no. I am thinking the the changed code in Moodle 2.0 that is not vulnerable to this sort of attack. (Yay! I thought my changes made the whole structure of the code more robust, but it is nice to have it confirmed smile). With the way it works in Moodle 1.9, I can see how this might happen. Please could you file a bug report at http://tracker.moodle.org/, and I will look into this.

Of course, as you found out, this sort of behaviour is quite easy to spot from the logs, and you can point this out to the students.

The other thing you can do is to turn on the option that forces a delay between successive quiz attempts. Even a few minutes delay would be enough. Drat! in the quiz settings form, the shortest available delay is 30 minutes. That is purely a features of the setting form. It is stored in the DB as a number of minutes, so if you want to try this, you would need to edit mod/quiz/mod_form.php.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eric Hagley -
Many thanks Tim for your assistance. I have filed a bug report.
Kind regards,
Eric
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Art Lader -
Hi, Eric,

Thank you for running this down!

This is the report, right? -- http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19920

Thanks,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Eric Hagley -
Sorry for the late reply Art, but yes that is right.
Kind regards,
Eric