passwords

passwords

by David Gilbert -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I have now installed moodle for the 5th time along with easyphp1.7.
i have followed all the instructions to the letter, I now know them of by heart!

When I finally get to the moodle login page it asks me to login, which I wish to do to administer the site.  When I enter the id and password I have set up in config.php I am given an error invalid login please try again.  My id is correct as is my password.  suggestions please.

Dave
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Gilbert

Re: passwords

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
ID and password is not setup in config.php - you should be ask in the install process to fill in user details about admin - here you give your password to admin user.

It once happened to me too, I was not asked about the admin user at all, the problem was in permissions to moodledata directory - apache (www user) could not write to it (Moodle stores sessions there...).
In reply to Petr Skoda

by David Gilbert -
At last that seems to have solved my problem.  I have had allsorts of suggestions re passwords, but it was permissions.  Thanks my sanity is intact.
Dave

by David Gilbert -
Dear Petr,

I thought that solved my problem, but it only solved it the once.  Permissions on my data directory are to allow any user do anything.  when I try again to login I get the same error as before  "invalid login please try again".  I have checked my config.php and dbuser = root, password is blank.
Any more help please as I have now nearly a full Moodle setup with courses and resources.  I really dont want to go through it all again.

Cheers

Dave

by Marc Sadoff -
I'm just now having the same headache of not being able to login as admin, with the power to edit the courses.  Just spent about 2 hours changing passwords of the username admin, browsing around my moodledata and the database itself.... all with no success.  My index page displays, but every time I log in successfully as admin, the index.php loads, but I do not have editing access.

If you learn how to solve this new problem Dave, please let me know at Marc@RealHope.com
In reply to Marc Sadoff

by David Gilbert -
Hi,
I have not yet found what the problem is, but I am pretty sure it has something to do with permissions.  I have just done a clean install on two machines. one allows me to login the other kicks me out when I try to log in as Admin.
Will keep trying
In reply to Marc Sadoff

by Marc Sadoff -
O.K..... I'm a dolt of some sort... but maybe this will help others with password problems.  Just to add to my description above I'll say that not only did I not have editing privileges but I was not logged in to the site, even as a visitor would be.  So now my boneheaded mistake.

I had changed my privacy setting in my Netscape 7.1 to test other aspects of the Miva on my site.  Somehow, I either changed the cookie acceptance policy for my browser for my own moodle site, or I could have made some global changes in my acceptance policy re: cookies for my browser.  I kept checking my Netscape Preferences:Privacy & Security settings, with no avail in terms of my non login problems as admin on my moodle..... very frustrating.

THEN, I looked over my whole menu for Netscape and found under Tools another submenu called Cookie Manager and there I changed my policy while I was on the moodle login page.  THAT WORKED!

I'm sure this doesn't solve all probs re: admin passwords, but it was a big problem for me... and I thought I'd share the solution.  I look forward to more great things happening with Moodle.

Marc Sadoff