Scenarios

Scenarios

by Frank Erazo -
Number of replies: 6
An instructional designer has asked me if there are other options besides the lesson activity that can help her create a scenario based course.

Example: Based on the Frequency and Severity of a problem, the user would be directed to the appropriate response.

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Erazo

Re: Scenarios

by Peter Seaman -
Hi Frank: Frequency and severity are exactly the kinds of distinctions that the lesson module is good at forcing students to make. It's what we've used the lesson module for.

Example: You are a firefighter and you get a call that a warehouse is on fire. What should you take to fight the fire? (a) Fire extinguisher, (b) Water buffalo, (c) Fire truck. Okay, so you pick fire truck. Looks like the fire is coming from an oil tank. What should you use? (a) Water, (b) CO2, (c) Foam. You chose water. Okay, here's what happens: fire out of control! Better choose something else. Etc. You can take the learner down each path as far as you want.

Hypercard did something similar, and you could link web pages or Powerpoint slides to one another. But I love the lesson module b/c it's so easy to set up and use, and it allows an instructor to track student progress (by way of scores). Hope this helps. - Peter
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Seaman

by Frank Erazo -
Peter:

Thank you very much for the info. This will help me and make my life a whole lot easier.

big grin

I guess then it will take some practice for the instructional designer.
In reply to Frank Erazo

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Frank and Peter (and other moodlers using the Lesson module for scenarios). For anyone reading French, you may be interested in the article I wrote about my use of the Lesson module for a typical "maze" scenario activity. « Un cas particulier du scénario dans l'apprentissage des langues : le labyrinthe (action maze) », Alsic, Vol. 11, n° 2 | 2008.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Peter Seaman -
Merci, Joseph, for sharing the article. I don't read French very well, but I could still understand the basic drift, and I enjoyed seeing the snippets of your scenario. I've not experimented much with Cloze, short-answer, and other types of questions in the lesson module. What I find most challenging about creating a credible scenario is supplying answers without leading the student. In other words, once I mention a choice, the student knows the issue is possibly important, just by my calling attention to it. The real trick is to lay out all of the cues in a situation without calling attention to any one of them. That's how most authentic performance situations work, in my experience. - Peter
In reply to Peter Seaman

by ben reynolds -
And, not to throw in unintentional distractors by emphasizing something accidentally.
In reply to Peter Seaman

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Peter:

***What I find most challenging about creating a credible scenario is supplying answers without leading the student.

I quite agree that this point is really challenging. It is not particularly linked to the Lesson/scenario situation but to the teaching situation in general.

Joseph