questions with image inserted

questions with image inserted

by Kathy Morello -
Number of replies: 5
I have created a question bank of multiple choice questions containing an image. All is well in the course in which I created the test bank; however, when I exported that question bank to a different course and then created a quiz using those questions the students in that second course could not see the image (just a placeholder). The only way they could see the image was after I manually enrolled them in the first course. My question is: once a question is created with an image file that is stored in one course how do you move the questions to a new course and have the images move with it? Seems even when I copy the image files to the new course the question is still pointing back to original course for the image.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathy Morello

Re: questions with image inserted

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Kathy
One option is to import the quiz into the second course, including the course files. Not an ideal solution I realise if the first course has lots of other files but I have found it works.
There is lots of discussion about sharing question banks, one option (if you are the Administrator) is to create the questions at site level (front page questions) then add them to the quizzes in the relevant courses. The downfall of this option is the context of these questions would prevent non-admins or site teachers from adding them to other quizzes - you could (as Admin) do this on the teacher's behalf.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Kathy Morello -

I do have Admin rights.  I should have thought about that option when I realized students not in course questions created in would not see image. 

Do you think if I publish the questions then other teachers could access them for their course also?  Just thinking of what might come up if we go this route.  Am I correct in understanding that 1.9 (we are using 1.8) fixes the problem of images not moving with questions when exporting to a different course?

Thanks for the fix you suggested.  I shall work on that if 1.9 does not do it for me since we will be moving to 1.9 or higher next year.

Kathy

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Kathy
I'm not sure if 1.9 fixed this issue, our staff usually import material from one course to another all at once so the files are automatically copied.

In 1.9 (not sure of 1.8 as we didn't use that version!) you cannot 'publish' the questions for others to use as the context gets in the way. Check out the rather lengthy discussion on How to deal with shared questions? Moodle 2.0 I believe will deal with this a lot better.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa

by John Rodgers -
A second option
  1. export the questions in moodle xml format.
  2. Create a zip of your images.
  3. Unzip your images in the second course. Notice the difference in the "path" to the images.
  4. search and replace the path to the images in your xml file.
  5. import the xml file.
Howard: is it possible to have the moodle xml importer change image paths automatically?
In reply to John Rodgers

by Carrie Meyer -

I couldn't find and replace in the XML format, so I exported as GIFT format and that worked perfectly!!!

PS - I would love Moodle to do this automatically as well! Although the search and replace wasn't too bad

Carrie

PS - using Moodle 1.9.5