Upgrading our current Moodle server

Upgrading our current Moodle server

by Zbysiu Rodak -
Number of replies: 2
We have a Win2K3 server running our moodle site and wish to upgrade it over the coming summer break, new processors, 32Gb of memory and Server 2008. As it currently stands the OS and the Moodle database and installation sit on the C: drive and the moodledata resides on the D: drive. The whole server sits in a DMZ. My thinking is that I back up the database, wipe the C: drive, install Server 2008, set it up as a WAMP server again, reinstate the database then do a clean install of the latest version of moodle and in the settings point to the moodledata folder on the D: drive. Some modules and blocks will also need updating?
This all seems a little too simple for my liking (I don't like over complication, but what I've outlined above appears a little too pat). Any advice would be appreciated.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbysiu Rodak

Re: Upgrading our current Moodle server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Basically that's it... it's not meant to be hard.

Just to be clear... make sure you have backups of everything. I would do a trial upgrade somewhere else first just to make sure (a) your backups are good and (b) no other problems surface.
In reply to Zbysiu Rodak

Re: Upgrading our current Moodle server

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There are three things (only!) to remember to backup with regards to Moodle - the moodledata folder, the moodle web folder and your database... That's it really wink