- tags file is useful for developers only. Developer should be able to easily create their own tags file if they want to use it. Which is something they need to do anyway, especially when adding or modifying new functions/methods/classes.
- tags file in CVS does not seem to be updated regularly. Currently, in HEAD, it is 2 months old.
- Developers may prefer their own settings of what will be tagged by ctags utility. Again, they need to re-create the file manually anyway
- Locally re-created tags file is likely to be in conflict during update
- It generally causes conflicts for those using git mirror of the source code base
$ cat ~/public_html/moodle-head/Makefile all : cscope ctags cscope : find `pwd` -type f -name '*.php' > cscope.files cscope -b ctags : ctags -R --languages=php --regex-PHP='/(public |static |abstract |protected |private )+function ([^ (]*)/\2/f/'