Flash + XML work in Lessons?

Flash + XML work in Lessons?

by Chris Lee -
Number of replies: 12
Hi,

I do not see why xml and flash wouldnt work within lessons but could someone clarify this. I am simply referring to uploading flash animation into a lesson that is linked to an xml file that is located on the server.

Cheers,

Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Lee

Re: Flash + XML work in Lessons?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Chris,
When you say "lesson" are you actually referring to the so-called Lesson module in Moodle? If so, where exactly would you like to "upload" your flash animation? In athe text of a question page or branch page? Have you tried? With what results?
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Chris Lee -
Hi Joseph,

Yes in the lesson module perhaps within a branch table containing text, no I havent actually tried this yet. I was hoping someone has either tried or doing this so they could advise me. I assume it will work, I dont see why not but moodle does do some funny things occasionaly.

cheers
Chris
In reply to Chris Lee

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - I have done this -not in a lesson but the principle is the same -you'd just link to the flash animation and as long as the xml file was in the same folder as the flash and anything else you might have , and they were all in the same course files, it has worked for me and should for you.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Lee -
Thank you for clarifying Mary....
In reply to Chris Lee

by Chris Lee -
ahh, unfortunately I cannot seem to be able to get flash and xml to work within a lesson. Flash works fine by itself obviously but the text that is within the xml file does not seem to able to link with the swf.

Does anyone know how to get around this?
In reply to Chris Lee

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Chris,
It is nearly impossible to help you if we do not have your Flash files to try them out on our own Moodle test sites. Could you post them here (or send them by private message to my e-mail address in my profile) and I will test this out for you.
Joseph

by Chris Lee -
Thank you Joseph for taking a look...
In reply to Chris Lee

by Manoj Navalkar -

Hi,

We are facing a similar issue 4 years after this issue was reported. While it was relatively easy to upload files into the same moodledata sub-dir of the course in 1.9 or before, now in Moodle 2.0+, one cannot do so and it necessarily needs to be uploaded through the course front-end.

We would like to add flash files to Lesson, wherein these flash files access external resources like XML data or image files.When we tried to upload the files in the same locations as the flash files, we received a message 'file type not supported'.

Where does one upload the XML files or images so that they can accessed by the flash files?

We are using Moodle 2.5.

regards, Manoj

In reply to Manoj Navalkar

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hello Manoj,

I'm afraid your problem is not strictly related to the Lesson activity, but more generally to using Flash files in any Moodle activity using the HTML editor.

I suggest you re-post your question to the General problems forum. You might also contact our Moodle "Flash guru", Matt Bury.

Joseph

In reply to Manoj Navalkar

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Manoj,

Are all files (.xml and .fla etc) within their own sub folder - I've found that just putting these files in with everything else can cause issues. Create a new sub folder and try again?

Also make sure that the usual file naming conventions are followed for all files and all folders within the path - ie no spaces or unsual characters.

In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Joseph Rézeau -

@Lynn,

Since the problem mentioned here is not directly related to the Lesson activity, I suggest any further discussion continues in a new thread to be opened in the General Problems forum.

Joseph

by Manoj Navalkar -

Hi Joseph, Lynn,

Thanx for your quick reverts. Will try the advise @Lynn.

Sure Joseph, will move this query to the General forum.

regards,