Failure running /install.php

Failure running /install.php

by David Schamus -
Number of replies: 13

Block activity_modules tables could NOT be set up successfully!

Tried to modify database, but "/hsphere/local/home/dschamus/dpixclass.com/blocks/activity_modules/db/mysql.sql" doesn't exist!

Where should this file come from, what does it include, etc?

I am installing this on a web host external to my network.  I do not have telnet access, just a "control panel"

Thanks.

Dave Schamus

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Schamus

Re: Failure running /install.php

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That path seems a bit odd - The local after the second slash is the thing - not impossible just strange for a unix/linux system. Do you set up config.php yourslef, or use the wizard (in which case it would be getting dirroot wrong) ? What is the actual path to your moodle site? The file is certainly there on my install - the only other possibility is that you really do have missing files.
In reply to Howard Miller

by David Schamus -

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your reply.  When I look at the control panel for my web host, they say the physical path to my website home directory is:

/hsphere/local/home/dschamus/dpixclass.com  

If i look at my distribution of files, there is a zero byte file called mysql.sql located in the directory they reference.  I did change the config.php file to reflect the path to the dirroot of the website as shown above.

The table below is a cut/paste from my webhost company's control panel

HTML Directory Name/hsphere/local/home/dschamus/dpixclass.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I took my life in my hands and tried...

http://www.dpixclass.com/index.php

from which I got redirected to a folder called 'moodadmin'! Moodle doesn't have a moodadmin folder. What have you done (and why)? - there is some stuff you have changed you are not telling us about big grin

by David Schamus -

Hi Howard,

Once again, thank you for your reply.  This was a step I took after the initial failures because I read in the dox somewhere that some webhosting services assign a special meaning to folders called admin and that changing the folder name AND editing the config.php according might help. 

I am thinking about blowing out the site, the MySQL database, etc and starting from scratch.

In the meantime, your input was appreciated.  It is nice to have people working to help you.  I guess since many moodlers are also teachers or trainers, this is not completely surprising; we live to help!

Dave

by W Page -
Hi David,

These are my suggestions since you indicate you are using CPanel
  1. Start from scratch. [No files / No Database]
  2. Download the "tar.gz" format of the version you want.
    1. Stable - v1.4.1
    2. DareDevil - v1.5 Development
  3. Upload the file to your site, the public folder (directory) [if there is one] in "binary" mode, or the directory it will be in.
  4. Decompress the file by using CPanel. (See image attached.)
    1. Go into the "File Manager"
    2. Locate the file.
    3. Click on the file name.
    4. Look in the upper part of the right panel just under the file name.
    5. Look for "Extract File Contents" and click on it.
    6. The file should decompress. (it will decompress inside of a "moodle" directory automatically.)
  5. Install by using the wizard.
    1. You will reach the wizard via the address,
      1. http://YourWebSite.com/moodle/ or,
      2. http://YourWebSite.com/  [if you move the files into the base directory]
    2. Make sure you have at your fingertips,
      1. What type of database you are using "mySQL" , "PostgreSQL", etcetera
      2. Host database server
      3. The name you are using for the database.
        1. The host may give it to you, or
        2. You may be able to create a database and choose a name. {This must be done before the installation process}
      4. The username you are using for the database.
        2. You may be able to create one when you created the database {This must be done before the installation process}
      5. The password you are using for the database password (if you are using one).
        2. You may be able to create one when you created the database {This must be done before the installation process}
      6. The prefix you are using for the database tables
        1. The default is "mdl_" but you can name it anything you want "anything_".
        2. This is particulary useful if you only have one database to work from so you will be able to differentiale the Moodle tables from other programs you may have installed.

If anyone sees any errors in this. Please correct.

Hope this helps.

WP1
Attachment cpanel_decompress_01.gif

by W Page -
Hi Howard!

The following is in the config-dist.php file.  He may have changed this.

//=========================================================================
// 6. DIRECTORY LOCATION  (most people can just ignore this setting)
//=========================================================================
// A very few webhosts use /admin as a special URL for you to access a
// control panel or something.  Unfortunately this conflicts with the
// standard location for the Moodle admin pages.  You can fix this by
// renaming the admin directory in your installation, and putting that
// new name here.  eg "moodleadmin".  This will fix admin links in Moodle.

$CFG->admin = 'admin';

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Howard Miller -
oh yeh... I'd forgotten about that - even if he didn't need to do it it won't have broken anything. Thanks!
In reply to W Page

by Howard Miller -
Damn WP1 - it's no use - so what does the W stand for? You're more of a mystery than me big grin

by W Page -
Hi Howard,

W stand for Web wink

I hope David gets his site up eventually.  It can be really frustrating not to be able to get a site installed.

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Howard Miller -
Ha ha ha ha big grin

And is Web a little boy's name or a little girl's??

by W Page -
big grin

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Howard Miller -
You are indeed the man (or indeed woman) of mystery cool

by David Schamus -

Hello Howard and W Page,

Sorry for the long delay in replying here.  First I read all of your suggestions.  What I eventually found out (and fix via manual intervention) was that my web hostings's services was NOT decompressing files with a zero byte length.  There are a bunch (about a dozen, I think) files in various folders called mysql.sql that are zero length initially and are populated, if needed in the install process.  However, if they don't already exist, the install fails. 

I solved the problem by creating zero-byte length files in each of the directories as the install was proceeding.

Thank you both for your input.

Dave