Edit datasets page blank in Calculated Questions

Edit datasets page blank in Calculated Questions

by Alastair Howie -
Number of replies: 2
When creating calculated questions, I am finding that the edit the datasets page is appearing as a completely blank page. The only option available to me is to use the back button on the browser, and then click Edit question in the navigation bar. When I do this the question is saved correctly, but of course there are no values for any of the variables. If you create another question using the same datasets, and it works properly, the original question now works perfectly. The problem is intermittent, but is becoming more frequent. This morning I wrote 9 questions, and only 1 worked properly.
The problem only seems to occur when there is more than one variable in the question. I have now resorted to writing questions of the form calculate{x} + 3 as a way of creating a variable or dataset {x}, but this seems to limit the possible values of {x} to less than 10 000 or so.

Is there any way I can simply create a dataset, without a question? Or indeed, edit the empty datasets created?

I am using Moodle 1.9, and have a role as site administrator, but no access (or understanding of!) the servers etc.

Oddly enough, when I tried using advanced search of the using moodle forums, the same blank page appeared when I typed datasets as a word to look for, and calculated question as a whole phrase.

On an unrelated topic, one of our pupils claims he cannot acccess the moodle because his home computer is an Apple Mac. Is this likely, or is it just an excuse to avoid the homework? I'm inclined towards the latter view.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Alastair Howie
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alastair Howie

Re: Edit datasets page blank in Calculated Questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I completely blank page is normally the sign that a fatal PHP error occurred. Try turning on Debugging to get an error message.

Moodle normally works fine on a Mac (using Safari), with one exception - the HTML editor. However, if you have a custom theme, it is possible, but unlikely, that the theme would mess up in Safari.

Accessing Moodle with Firefox on a Mac works almost exactly the same as Firefox under Windows or Linux. Quite a lot of the core developers have Mac laptops. I am tying this one one.
In reply to Alastair Howie

Re: Edit datasets page blank in Calculated Questions

by Pierre Pichet -
"If you create another question using the same datasets," do you mean that you use category datasets?

I cannot reproduce your problem on
http://132.208.141.198/moodle_19/
log as user: moodle pw: moodle
look in

Testing 1.9 STABLE course question :a test for froum 14-may.

Pierre