Moodle adoption strategies?

Moodle adoption strategies?

by Steven Walsh -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

Does anyone has any advice or know where I could find information pertaining to best practices for adopting Moodle as a learning management system?

I work for a government learning and training centre.  We are developing our own e-learning courses in-house.

I'm new to this so any help or advice or even clarification on what I should be looking for would be much appreciated smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Walsh

Re: Moodle adoption strategies?

by Colin Matheson -
Often the first question is how to host it: on site or purchase a hosting plan. If you host it on site you will need IT staff to support the server. If you purchase hosting you can buy cheap hosting from many sources that offer fantastico instant installation of Moodle. However, you won't get any Moodle support. If you want someone to call/email with support or upgrade questions, then you should look into an official Moodle Partner to host.

I recommend your start with a cheap pilot program in which you manually create users with a file upload (or even have them create their own accounts). Have them try out a simple class with a few resources and activities. That will give you a better understanding of what Moodle can do when you design and monitor your full fledged courses.
In reply to Colin Matheson

by Steven Walsh -

Hi Colin,

We are hosting it on site, we do have IT staff to help us support it. I'll take your advice and look into a pilot program, thanks and much appreciated!

In reply to Steven Walsh

by Ryan Chadwick -
Hi Steven,

I would suggest you start by having a play with all the activities and resources. Create a testbed course and experiment with them all.

Then maybe have a look at the 3rd party addon's you can aquire on the moodle site.

Once you have an idea of the types of things you can do with Moodle have a look at a few examples of how other people have structured things. A good place to start would be:

http://moodlecommons.org/
In reply to Steven Walsh

by Amir Elion -
Apart from the technical issues mentioned above, an important thing to consider is the Change Management issue. This is true in whether you already have another learning environment working in your organization, and more so if this is your first real effort at introducing a virtual learning environment.
We are in the process of inroducing Moodle to our organization and are managing it according to a chnage managent process and framework. I you lack experience in managing organizational changes, I would suggest consulting with your internal function responsible for organizational development, or an Human Resources function. If none are available, an external consultant might prove valueable.
Personally, I like John Kotter's change management framework so you might want to read about it.
Good luck!
Amir
In reply to Steven Walsh

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Stephen,

You've found the best place to find discussions on Moodle (i.e. forums!). Having said that there are a few issues I think you might want to look at:

a) what are you trying to achieve? This is not trivial - are you testing for specific compliance with regulations, just updating skills or ... The answer to this will help you shape your response to Moodle. For example, if you want to ensure that each person complies with legislation for, example, health and safety, then you need to look into the technical side of Moodle where you can lock down the IP address of the student to a known machine. If you're involved in general training then you might want to explore the various theme options to give you the right approach (e.g. topic vs weekly).

b) how are your in-house skills/time/budget? Moodle is highly customisable but that comes with a price tag - just factor it in when you put in your budget.

c) definitely have a test site. Let the trainers use it and report back. Get a few test students to try it also. Get feedback. Listen to feedback. Act on feedback!! If people don't like the site you won't have effective change management.

Hope his helps,

Paul