Question about Letters/Final Grades

Question about Letters/Final Grades

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 6
Howdy!

I have been having a big old play with the Gradebook and Rubric assessment in preparation for 09-10 (v1.9.5).

Basically I am trying to setup a grading system that works for our colleges, however I've run into a little issue.

At present we use a Pass, Merit and Distinction grading system, with Resubmit if the work is not satisfactory.

Up until now, tutors have just been manually adding their grades using a Scale. However I want to try a new system whereby they use the 1-100 grading system, and this automatically creates a grade and a Final grade using Mean weighted grades.

HOWEVER, Resubmits are a real problem. How do I plan for these in the Letters setting? Should it be worth Zero? Trouble is, the student could still look at the final grade and see a Pass when in fact there is still a piece of work outstanding to do. I don't want Resubmitted grades to effect the final grade.

Any ideas or suggestions would be fab!

Dan

In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Question about Letters/Final Grades

by Dan Jeffries -
Maybe this isn't possible then...

I was certain some expert Moodler could help!
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Dan
I have played with the site wide letter definitions on my dev site. It appears you can use 0% as "Resubmit", when grading a student's submission to zero (0) and displaying the letter for that item in the gradebook they see the words "Resubmit".
I'm not sure about your comment "I don't want Resubmitted grades to effect the final grade."... the Aggregation will class this as 0% when calculating the final grade but won't the student's be resubmitting to get a better mark??

The only other thing I can suggest is to NOT grade them but specify they need to resubmit in the comments section of the assignment. Then the final grade won't be affected (with 'Aggregate only non-empty grades' checked).

Sorry, no other suggestions from me shy
I hope this helps anyway
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Dan Jeffries -
Hi Teresa

Many thanks for your reply.

What I mean is...

At present, a resubmit grade for out students means that the OVERALL grade is a resubmit i.e. it cannot be passed until all work has a Pass grade or higher.

So, a student could be awarded Pass for 1 task, Merit for another but Resubmit for a 3rd. As far as I can see, 0% will not add anything to the grade but it wont bring the overall grade down to a Resubmit.

Does that make sense?

The issue with not grading them is that tutors can't tell if work has actually been marked or not - but we all know this is an ongoing issue.

Hope that's clear!

Dan
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Elena Ivanova -
I would use Feedback area and type Resubmit in comments for the individual -0- grade. So, the student who has not submitted will have "-" for a grade, and the one who did poor will have 0 and resubmit comment.
Sorry, no tech solution %)

p.s. one of our faculty used Letters interface, and instead of F, she typed "Resubmit" and assigned it 0-0.01% range. Then, she was grading assignments and was showing Real/Letter for the "Grade display type" of that column. I hope I am making sense here smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Dan
Ok, so if a student has one resubmit the final course total should also be 'Resubmit'... I hope I understand this correctly.
If so, the tutor can override the overall course grade for this student by turning editing on in the gradebook and changing the Course Total to zero (0), If your site (or course) Letter has 'Resubmit' for the zero to 1 range and is displaying Letters then the word 'Resubmit' will appear.
When the student has submitted appropriately and has been given a mark for the resubmitted assignment the tutor then needs to revisit the gradebook with editing on and click the editing icon on that student's course total to remove the 'Overriden' checkbox tick.
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I hope it helps
Cheers
Teresa