Opera verion 9.64

Opera verion 9.64

by Adma Lim -
Number of replies: 8
Hi,

do you know how to enable HTML editor in Opera browser?

I have tried using " mask as Firefox" and "Identify as firefox", but it did not work. The HTML editor did not appear.

Thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adma Lim

Odp: Opera verion 9.64

by jajek jajek -
try mask as IE,
it works for me
In reply to jajek jajek

Re: Odp: Opera verion 9.64

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Opera, and also Safari and Google Chrome do not work the html editor - so you really need Firefox or Internet Explorersmile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Gilchrist -
In what way does Safari not work with the html editor? I hand code bits in Safari on the iMac at home without problems, or am I misunderstanding? Is the html editor plain text (as I'm assuming) or WYSIWG?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Well...yes and no... it's a long story really. People are here just talking about html editor like we had only one editor but Opera has worked since Opera version 9.5 also with HTMLArea (current default editor of all versions of moodle before 2.0) if it is masked to be IE - but it is not a good choice to mask a browser to be another browser for each site separately...

Also current Chrome would work pretty well with old HTMLArea with a tiny change to moodlelib.php (function can_use_html_editor) and htmlarea.php that do not allow Chrome to use HTMLArea even if it could...

And moodle 2.0 will have TinyMCE that works fine with all of these browsers but unfortunately current stable versions of moodle will be using HTMLArea as the one-and-only-possible-default-editor for the rest of their life...

In addition to this latest Safari works very well with TinyMCE, FCKEditor and CKEditor, Xinha, YUI RTE and some other html editors but not with HTMLArea...

OK - we have a couple of workarounds to change HTMLArea to TinyMCE also in moodle 1.6...1.9 - but the easiest solution is really to use Firefox (3) or Internet Explorer (7) with current stable versions of moodle. It may surprise some moodlers in the coming months but also IE8 may stop working with popups like image plugins or smileys with certain configuration in Vista  http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18645

MS has not fixed that bug in IE8 and I just noticed this morning that automatic upgrading is already installing IE8 to your default browser... so I cross my fingers and hope that unregistered dll file problem occurs only in minimal number of cases and is caused by some non common plugin of IE...

In reply to jajek jajek

by Adma Lim -
you're right, maskign as IE and it works.
however, it seems to has border for each and every icon.
Well, I would just inform the teacher about this solution if not suggest to her to use the Firefox.

thanks!
Attachment editor.png
In reply to Adma Lim

by Ewald Zimmermann -
opera must be masked as IE

thats a bug in agent identification inside moodle

shold be fixed from moodle.org

g e
In reply to Ewald Zimmermann

Re: Odp: Opera version 9.64

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Masking Opera to play IE is not a fully functional solution for HTMLArea. You can easily change a couple of lines in lib files of moodle and HTMLArea to make HTMLArea partly working with Opera (latest versions) - read http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=35939 - but Moodle 2.0 will have a totally different editor anyway, TinyMCE, that supports all modern browsers.