Quiz timer in IE8

Quiz timer in IE8

by Matt Shaul -
Number of replies: 6
Hello -

Students have pointed out to me that the Quiz Timer does not appear in IE8. We have since discovered that it will if you put the browser in Compatibility View. Any idea on a way to tweak the code to get around the Compatibility View requirement?

Thanks
Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Shaul

Re: Quiz timer in IE8

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Matt > Any idea on a way to tweak the code to get around the Compatibility View requirement?
Yes, tweak the IE8 code (or use a friendly browser such as FireFox).wink
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Matt Shaul -
Thanks Joseph! I wish it were that easy!

We have a lot of students, especially ESL, who are not aware of FF, or are uncomfortable installing a browser different than the default IE on their home PCs. And from what I understand, Microsoft recently put IE8 in its automatic updates, so the problem will grow. sigh...

Thanks
Matt
In reply to Matt Shaul

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Matt, sorry about the usual rant against MSIE. And yes, I have noticed that MS now forces you to upgrade to MSIE8 when you are updating your Windows install.evil

Anyway, on a more positive note, I have no problem displaying the Quiz timer in my quizzes when using MSIE8 (see attached screenshot). So ...

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg
In reply to Matt Shaul

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Matt,

Are you using a custom theme at all?

It pains me to say it; but IE8 actually seems to handle correct HTML better than IE6 and 7 did (still not as well as FF though!)

Jon
In reply to Jon Witts

by Matt Shaul -
I haven't had time to look into this further until recently, but after looking into the file jstimer.php I found, and recalled, that we did alter this long ago.

Some time ago, students complained that the timer made them anxious as it counted down, so we used some javascript to only display the time when the student moused-over the clock. This was now causing some variable strangeness with IE8.

I changed it this morning to use a CSS :hover solution and all appears well in FF, IE7/8.

Thanks for all the tips, and stirring my memory!

Matt
In reply to Matt Shaul

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I suppose it is possible that some CSS we put in the standard theme to work around bugs in IE 6 etc. is breaking in IE8? Does anyone have time to investigate, I don't have an IE8 install to hand (and I am feeling lazy). I feel that it is probalby something trivial to fix in the CSS if only we can work out what.