Blank spaces

Blank spaces

by Philippe Decloitre -
Number of replies: 4

Wouldn't it be nice if Moodle could understand that there is no difference beween:

"Hello world!"

"Hello    world  !"

and

"      hello   world !"

In other words, if we could teach it to forego superfluous blanks, when evaluating open answers. (one blank = n blanks if n>0 & blanks before first character and  punctuation are ognored)

Any idea , thread on this?

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philippe Decloitre

Re: Blank spaces

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I imagine you are talking about something quite specific in Moodle, but I'm not sure what....
In reply to Howard Miller

by E. L. Cooper -
LOL I remember writing a hello world script as a lesson when studying php. Is that what we are talking about?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Philippe Decloitre -

It seems I took the precise wrong example.

Here is somehing more explanatory:

If you create a test in Moodel expecting a short answer such as:

"What does WWW stand for?"

You expect an answer such as:

"world wide web"

The problem is that some students may very well give the right answer ADDING AN EXTRA SPACE BETWEEN THE WORDS:

"world   wide web"

""   world      wide     web"

etc...

Moodle can't tell all these answers are the same, and there is an almost endless number of "extra-space possibilities". Thus writing them out, as possible answers, is not an option, especially if you already have quite a large number of alternative answers.

This is where my proposal comes in.

It is not possible to ask the programme to understand that two spaces (or any number of consecutive spaces is the same as "one space" and that an extra space before a comma or a dot or any regular expression is the same as no space as all, and that any space before the first character in an answer phrase should be ignored?

Am I any clearer?incertain

In reply to Philippe Decloitre

by Philippe Decloitre -

Has anyone read this question or is it just too difficult to come up with an answer?

Cheers