validation woes

validation woes

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 6

Hi Gordon and Everybody!

When I validate my exercises in the Hotpot Module I am getting the same 8 errors throughout my exercises:

…den" name="attemptid" value="4688" /><input type="hidden" name="starttime" va
…den" name="status" value="" /></form><!-- EndSubmissionForm -->
…"hidden" name="starttime" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="endtime" valu
…e="hidden" name="endtime" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="mark" value="
…type="hidden" name="mark" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="detail" value
…pe="hidden" name="detail" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="status" value
…pe="hidden" name="status" value="" /></form><!-- EndSubmissionForm -->

I queried this with my host and am told the errors emanate from the Hotpot Module.  Do I need to be concerned about these errors?  Is there anything I can do to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance.

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: validation woes

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,
The text that you pasted into your message is just HTML code.
Please copy and paste the actual error message that you get.

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

In the exercises I have tested I get the same following two warnings and 8 error messages. It's very long - hope it's OK.

Thanks,
Deborah
  1. Warning Mismatch between Public and System identifiers in the DOCTYPE declaration

This document uses an inconsistent DOCTYPE declaration. The Public Identifier -//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN declares the XHTML 1.1 document type, but the associated System Identifier xhtml11.dtd does not match this document type.

The recommended System Identifier for XHTML 1.1 is http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd.

The safest way to use a correct DOCTYPE declaration is to copy and paste one from the recommended list and avoid editing that part of your markup by hand.

2. Info Using Direct Input mode: UTF-8 character encoding assumed

Unlike the “by URI” and “by File Upload” modes, the “Direct Input” mode of the validator provides validated content in the form of characters pasted or typed in the validator's form field. This will automatically make the data UTF-8, and therefore the validator does not need to determine the character encoding of your document, and will ignore any charset information specified.

If you notice a discrepancy in detected character encoding between the the “Direct Input” mode and other validator modes, this is likely to be the reason. It is neither a bug in the validator, nor in your document.

↑ Top

Validation Output: 8 Errors

1. Error Line 1800, Column 115: Attribute "name" exists, but can not be used for this element.
    …pot/attempt.php" method="post" name="store"><input type="hidden" name="attemp

You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute, (Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.

2. Error Line 1800, Column 175: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …den" name="attemptid" value="4805" /><input type="hidden" name="starttime" va

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

3. Error Line 1800, Column 224: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …"hidden" name="starttime" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="endtime" valu

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element (such as "<a>", "<span>", or "<font>").

4. Error Line 1800, Column 271: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …e="hidden" name="endtime" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="mark" value="

5. Error Line 1800, Column 315: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …type="hidden" name="mark" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="detail" value

6. Error Line 1800, Column 361: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …pe="hidden" name="detail" value="" /><input type="hidden" name="status" value

7. Error Line 1800, Column 407: document type does not allow element "input" here; missing one of "ins", "del", "h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "p", "div", "address", "fieldset" start-tag
    …pe="hidden" name="status" value="" /></form><!-- EndSubmissionForm -->

8. Error Line 1800, Column 414: end tag for "form" which is not finished

Most likely, you nested tags and closed them in the wrong order. For example <p><em>...</p> is not acceptable, as <em> must be closed before <p>. Acceptable nesting is: <p><em>...</em></p>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so on.

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for that Deborah.

In the short term, those "errors" do not adversely affect the performance of the HotPot module or QuizPort, so you need not worry too much about them.

In the longer term, I will fix them for QuizPort and possibly for the HotPot module, because they can be distracting when looking for problems which do actually break the performance or appearance of the quizzes.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Hello again Deborah,
I have updated the HotPot module so that you should not get those validation errors.

The updated HotPot module will be available from the Moodle downloads page (or Moodle CVS) within a few days.

cheers
Gordon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Deborah ! You do realise by the time your courses are all up and running you will be a World Expert on the HotPot module and QuizPort don't you? smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deborah Delin -
big grinEither that or I'll have driven myself, and everyone else who has to read my posts on the subject, totally insane!