QuizPort title

QuizPort title

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 3
Hi Gordon,

I've made another little set of QuizPort exercises and I have 3 little problems :

1. I don't know how to name the Unit elegantly. If I choose "Get from quiz" the Unit has the name of the first exercise. I put a specific text, all the exercises have the name of the unit. I chose the first solution and then went back and modified the name of the unit. There must be another way.
  2. If in my original Hot Pot exercise I have an Index button, a "fake" quiz is added at the end. In the QuizPort icon.gif "Tests" de connaissances Moodle I've created on your site this is called Quiz(5). This is also the case in the Hot Pot module. It's quite easy just to remove it - which is why I've never reported it before.
  3. I third problem I have both on my local Moodle and my online one is that "empty" QuizPorts are create - one for each exercise. Even if I remove them, they recreate themselves. This doesn't happen on your site which is 1.9.4 whereas mine are 1.9.5. I've put a screenshot below. I can give you access to my online site if it's useful.
I've also put on your site a Word document of screenshots of my actions so you can see where I'm going wrong.

Cheers,
Glenys

Attachment 22-05-2009_22-41-50.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: QuizPort title

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Glenys,
thanks for the wonderful feedback!

1. when I am creating QuizPorts from a chain of HotPots, I usually select "Get name from Quiz". This gives all the quizzes the right name, but it also names the QuizPort after the first quiz in the chain, so having added the quizzes, I go back and change the QuizPort name to something more useful

Another way you can do it, is to create the QuizPort with no quizzes, and give it the name you want as "Specific text". Then go to the "Edit quizzes" page ofthe QuizPort and select "Add quizzes". From there you will be taken to the "adding a quiz" page, and if you add the quiz chain here, the QuizPort name will not be changed.

Another way to add the chain, is to insert the name of the masher file as the source file for the QuizPort. It can be the xml file or the html produced by the Masher. I think this will pick out the QuizPort name from the Masher file and set the names of the quizzes from their respective quiz files, so it is probably the most elegant way for you to get all the names right in one go.

2. When QuizPort is trying to follow the chain through a set of HTML files, it can find the Navigation buttons, but it doesn't know which button is what, so it just guesses that the last button, i.e. furthest to the right, is the "Next" button. If you have only one index button, then QuizPort will assume incorrectly that this is the next button and try to add that file as a quiz.

If you add the chain from xml files that QuizPort can find out exactly whether there is a next quiz or not, and following a fix I made last week for Deborah, QuizPort can find the next xml file even if the "next" link points to an html file.

If you are creating the chain from a masher file, then QuizPort will be able to follow the chain accurately because it doesn't have to guess.

I will have another look at the chaining and see whether or not there could be a way for QuizPort to spot - and ignore - the single index buttons in quiz HTML files

3. I haven't come across the empty QuizPorts before, so I will have a look at the Word doc and try to duplicate your actions so I can replicate the problem

thanks again!
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Glenys,

I am changing the screen to add a Quizport to make a little easier to specify the QuizPort name and the quiz names. (see attached screen snippet)

Gordon
Attachment add.quizport.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Glenys,
I have updated QuizPort to allow the Unit name and Quiz names to be set separately when adding a new QuizPort.

I was not able to reproduce the "empty QuizPorts" phenomena that you reported, so if continues to occur with the latest version of QuizPort, please could you send me access details to your site.

many thanks
Gordon