Giving limited Teacher role to a student

Giving limited Teacher role to a student

by alistair killick -
Number of replies: 5
I have a student, & I want to give him a Teacher role in just one course, so he can help the teachers manage that course.
I don't want hime to have access to the rest of the Moodle. I think I need to create a new role based on Teacher, called say "Editor" or "Moodle Helper" with the restriction: can't leave this course (or similar).
  • What permissions should I restrict? Does anyone have experience with this kind of role?
  • Or, should I set local permissions for the course? Or for blocks in the course?
This seems a great way to get disengaged, "bored brainy" kids involved, & take a load off the teachers! Any help is welcome!

I can't find any discussion about students being given limited teacher roles. If it's here, I'm happy to read the old threads
Average of ratings: -
In reply to alistair killick

Re: Giving limited Teacher role to a student

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
HI there. Simple. You just go to that course and the admin block and assign roles. And move him into the teacher role. He will only be a teacher in that course. How funnysmile Just five minutes ago I was on our Moodle with my line manager discussing that same thing with some of ours!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The only problem is that teacher role has Cross Site Scripting risk, which simply means that you have to trust all teachers completely because they may gain access to any other account if they try hard - not it that particular course only, but due to general security design of web browsers any course on that server.

When I say this, people always ask why is it not prevented in Moodle, the reason is we have to create some balance, if we lock down everything like banking sites there would not be any cooperation of users, no SCORM, no flash = no education.

The only solution we have now is to create separate sandbox sites and let all students work there as teachers.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you explain this more please Petr? I thought if we put students into one course as teachers it would not affect other courses - I don't understand about cross site scripting risk  as I am not a techie - but I would like to learnsmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There's a tiny bit more information about cross-site scripting in the documentation Risks. Anyone, please feel free to add more. wink
In reply to Helen Foster

by alistair killick -
Thank you for all that. I now realize the "vulnerability" of our Moodle is that most of our courses are enrollable (this allows students who got forgotten to enrol themselves). I was thinking, my brainy student can enrol himself in other courses if I make him a teacher - but he can do that already!

Thanks Mary; as usual the simple solution is the best one!