Display Error in 1.9.5 Grade View (IE, Safari, Chrome)

Display Error in 1.9.5 Grade View (IE, Safari, Chrome)

by John Pennington -
Number of replies: 11
We recently installed Moodle 1.9.5 on our test server and have come across an issue where the Grade View page for each course does not display correctly in IE, Safari, or Chrome (Firefox and Opera display correctly). The name list stretches below the grade list and the rows become disconnected. We've switched back and forth between templates to try to see if it was a CSS issue, but all the themes in our library responded similarly.

Any ideas of what we could do for a fix for this issue?

195gradebookerror.jpg

In reply to John Pennington

Re: Display Error in 1.9.5 Grade View (IE, Safari, Chrome)

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi John,
I do not have a "proper css" solution, but turn the Sticky Column with student names (Static students column) off.

Unfortunately, you need to do this for an installation, and cannot do so on the course level.

In reply to John Pennington

by Elena Ivanova -
P.s. Anyone has an idea how to fix this issue for IE?
This is a Standard theme. Notice how Action icons look for Categories (they for some reason do not want to be in line)

P.s. This should influence all 1.9.5 gradebooks in IE, as far as I understand, since http://test.moodle.org/1.9 has the same issue.
Attachment 02Scr_May._20_13.20.jpg
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Neil S -
I have not seen the issue that John has mentioned. Short of digging in with either the IE dev toolbar or IE8 developer tools it will be difficult to say what the cause might be.

=========================

I have seen the issue you mention, Elena, and I have fixed it with the following CSS in the standard/sytles_ie7.css file (so it only applies to IE7) make sure your theme(s) use the conditional IE css files or this won't work.

/*FIX GRADE ITEM EDIT TABLE FOR IE 7*/
.gradetreebox td.name {
width: auto;
}

.gradetreebox td.actions {
width: auto;
white-space: nowrap;
}

I also had an issue in IE 7 where the scrollbar would cover the last student grade line (this would be in the grader report)... This is a common issue with IE 7 (and prior) rendering of scroll bars. I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to render the scroll bar on top of the content your trying to scroll and read....

I resolved that issue (also in styles_ie7.css) with:
/*FIX GRADER TABLE SCROLL BAR*/
.grade-report-grader div.right_scroller {
padding-bottom: 20px;
overflow-y: hidden;
}

I have another issue in IE8 with positioning of the YUI overlay popup once you have scrolled the grades over past the initial viewport... The further you scroll towards the 'course total' column the further off to the right the overlay renders.... Looking for a fix to this now...

Take care,
Neil
In reply to Neil S

by Elena Ivanova -
yes! smile
Thank you SO much, it worked like a charm.
If you have any other tips to share, I would be up for grabs smile

p.s. Do you know by a chance how to fix something like this? (also in IE 7)

I guess I should go to the Themes forum.
Attachment 04Scr_May._21_11.42.jpg

by Neil S -
My install does not exhibit this behavior. I'm thinking that perhaps a width (or max width) is set on the table, td, tr, th, or containing div element... Or... some other element(s) are not allowing this table to expand as needed.

I could probably resolve this if I was looking at your theme and its css. If that's possible I'd be happy to take a look. Feel free to PM, email, or skype.

Cheers,
Neil
In reply to Neil S

by Elena Ivanova -
Aha! I'll take a look.
(most probably I will indeed bug you with this. thank you for the offer smile)

by Neil S -
I figured out my last major issue with the gradebook and IE8 (I hope)...

The issue (for the benefit of others) is that the YUI panels that pop up to display the student name, graded item name, and any instructor comment would not display correctly if the grades were scrolled towards the 'end' of the grade table (right).... The further you scrolled the further off the panels were.... Anyhow it makes sense... I needed to position the right_scroller div 'relative' with...

.grade-report-grader div.right_scroller {
position: relative;
}

Other themes or installations perhaps do not suffer this issue?

I still have some minor misalignment between the names and their associated row of grades. Thsi only happens in various version of IE by a pixel up or down depending on what version and if editing is on or off... I find it annoying but it's not ever more than a pixel.... In some cases it's off by a pixel one way when the gradebook loads and when editing is turned on it's off by a pixel the other way. So long as it's not more than a pixel I can live with it for now I guess. If I get some time I may write a quick javascript that aligns them by tweaking margins - that would buy me some time to figure out what's up with the CSS...

How did your upgrade go?

Cheers,
Neil

In reply to Neil S

by Neil S -
Again just FYI should anybody be reading this thread.

I headed into tracker to file a small bug report on the 'off by a few pixel' issue i described above but saw a bug already existed. I've detailed a bit about what I've done to completely resolve this alignment issue in a variety of browsers.

See: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19007

Cheers,
Neil
In reply to Neil S

by Donna Hrynkiw -
We're currently experiencing the 'off by a few pixels' issue (as described in MDL-19007), only in our case the problem is in Firefox, while IE looks fine. Trouble is, we recommend Firefox to our users.

Relevant details:
  • Moodle v1.9.5+ (which includes the MDL-19007 fix)
  • in Firefox v3.5.3
  • when editing is turned on
  • looks fine in IE
  • using Chameleon theme
  • looks fine in Standard theme

Do I need to file a bug report?

Donna Hrynkiw
Kwantlen Polytechnic
In reply to Neil S

by Elena Ivanova -
Thanks you so much for posting this, Neil!
Our upgrade went good. big grin So I've took a break from any mental activity afterward.

by Neil S -
Our upgrade went pretty good too - The grades being allowed to exceed 100% actually uncovered some misunderstandings about how the SCORM module worked with one of our instructors.

Cheers!
Neil