Grades only on Editing?

Grades only on Editing?

by Ariel Ayaviri Omonte -
Number of replies: 8
Excuse me if i don't express myself properly, but i don't speak english very good.

First. I have a moodle 1.8 running on web and i wanted to make some tests on the new version of moodle (1.9) using the data of that server into another server for testing.

i have installed moodle 1.9 on a test server AppServ. I made all the tests i wanna improve in the old server and everything war right.

Afertar that, I copied only the old database from the moodle 1.8 to my test Server.

the installation was succesfull, and everything was going allright, i tought so.

but i found something wrong in the gradesbook and i couldn't find any solution in the internet.

The problem is that the bookgrade doesn't show the grades, it only shows empty cells.
The grades are only showed when i activate the editing mode.

I'm attaching a picture of the problem.
if someone can help me please. I'm going crazy.
Attachment grades.jpg
In reply to Ariel Ayaviri Omonte

Re: Grades only on Editing?

by Elena Ivanova -
Probably this is not the reason, but double-check settings for your columns (click Edit icon for Practica 1, for example). What does it say for "Grade display type"? Also, have you already established default settings via Site Administration (admin interface)?
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by S Connor -

I too am only seeing grades with Editting is ON.

All Manual, no database copies.I started from a fresh Moodle 1.9 install. (I am new to moodle)Manual entry of students, course, assignments, manual grades too. Only see grades when editting on ON.

Grade Items'

grade type are Value

not hidden,

hidden until and lock until are disabled.

Does not seem affected by weights either (item weights, nor category weights). ie. only seeing grades with Editting is ON Even when I started a new course, with no gradebook categories, simply single assignment manually graded in Grader Report, Quick grading.

In reply to S Connor

by S Connor -

Found why the Final Grade was not showing.

The Grade Item, Grade Type was a Default() When I changed Grade Type to Real,  the Final Grade was then visible regardless of Editting on or off. And now the student could see the grades too.

Even though the Administrator had Grades, Grade Item Setting, Grade display type: Real

AND individual course, Grades, Edit, Course settings, is also Default

So the puzzle now is: Why the Default Real value did not get used?

Yes I do see that Category Totals do say Real now, not sure what they were before.

FYI Reference that gave me hint as to Grade Type was a Forum Topic: Display score on gradebook don't count toward grade http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=113043#p496514

In reply to S Connor

by Elena Ivanova -
aah, yes, now I remember! Saw it too at some point of time.
Basically, the Admin has to save/update settings in Site Administration right after the upgrade for every single report once (regardless whether the settings look like already selected or not). Then, those settings will be properly saved, so "Default() will be gone, and grades will be shown.

by Nicolas Connault -
Thanks for troubleshooting this, Elena. If you feel it should be addressed in the next upgrade (1.9.6), please file a bug report in tracker.

by S Connor -

"save/update" which ones under Site Administration?

Above "every single report" implies each of:

Grades, Report settings

Grader report

Overview report

User report

Since Grade item settings is separate from Report settings, do we also require a "save/update" for all of the sub-menus under Grades?

Grades,

General settings

Grade category settings

Grade item settings

Scales

Outcomes

Letters

Report settings

Grader report

Overview report

User report

Are there any other Site Administration menu settings which require a "save/update" after an upgrade (or in our case an initial install)?

In reply to S Connor

by Elena Ivanova -
As far as I remember, I went through every single page in Site Administration block > Grades and clicked the Save Changes buttons. It takes only 5 minutes, but it worth it smile
I will have to do the same tomorrow, once we upgrade our production instance, so I will record my steps and post here (and submit a ticket)

by Elena Ivanova -
Follow-up:
I did not see this behavior during the upgrade, so I do not have anything to report sad
But I know that it did indeed happen to me at least 2 times. I am thinking that probably last times I've got "vanilla" Moodle install.