"create multiple questions" --- please explain the logic

"create multiple questions" --- please explain the logic

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Number of replies: 5
Hi
I want to check tjhat I understand the logic of the "create multiple questions" function correctly.

As I understand it, it creates duplicate questions (as many as you specify) of the questions in the category (ie. Linux Fundamentals)... this is why "Random Question" appears in the category once you have run the function.

1. Are these questions generated randomly only at that time ie. the quiz that you add these questions to will always have the same questions in them ..... OR are they _placeholders_ in the category (ie. Linux Fundamentals) for questions which would be randomly generated when a student attempts the quiz ?

I suppose the question really is: why is "Random Question" added to the category ? If I now go and add a new quiz and browse to the same category that I have used to create a random quiz from ... then those phantom "Random Question" (s) is still there.

aarrgghhh. Now I have made myself confused. Someone, please explain the logic behind the "create multiple questions" function.

Riaan
Attachment quiz.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

Re: "create multiple questions" --- please explain the logic

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
They are placeholders in the category (ie. Linux Fundamentals) for questions which would be randomly generated when a student attempts the quiz.

The idea is that you can then easily make a quiz which has two set questions (that everyone sees) followed by 5 questions randomly chosen from Linux Fundamentals, followed by 5 questions randomly chosen from another category, and then another set question at the end that everyone sees.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Martin,
    I understand how it works, but it took a while.  I see illogical having here all those placeholders. They should be in the left part, the questions list  for thsi particular  quiz, not in the database.

I think it would be much more logical if the "add random question" and "add multiple questions" would be placed to the left, on the actual quiz question list, not the database or questions.

Another rather better placement would be as buttons below the data base list , just like the "<<add to quiz" botton.

- Enrique Castro -

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Riaan Bredenkamp -
Thanks I get it now. Was a bit confusing. This does what I expected it to do. Just not in the way I thought it would.

I expected it to generate random questions that belong to the quiz you are creating, instead of creating questions in the category that then can be used in many other quizes.

thanks for the clarification.

In reply to Riaan Bredenkamp

by Timothy Takemoto -

Martin's explanation as to why there are random questions inside the quiz category does not wash with my tiny mind. One might be able to have a quiz with set questions, random questions, then more set questions, without their ever being random questions within the quiz category.

Having random questions inside the quiz category means that the program does not need to do the work of creating more than one set of random questions for a category that may be used in more than one quiz.  In terms of programming grace, this is more effcient.

However, and this may be an unrelated issue...

One of the disadvantanges of using random questions at the moment is that the statistics package which analyses the discrimination, percentage of right answers for each question ceases to work because it cannot keep track of which question the student was assigned to. If instead of their being a set of random questions inside the quiz category which are referenced by each quiz, if instead each quiz had to create its own set of random questions (i.e. if the random questions inside the quiz category were done away with) then perhaps this might make it easier to keep track of the contented of quiz questions? To keep track of the quiz questions it would be necessary to create a set of questions not only in each quiz but also inside each attempt but having the random set generated on the quiz since would seem to be a step in the right direction.  
TIm

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Philip Norton -

I agree with the sentiments here that the added random questions in each category is counter-intuitive. It also makes for clumsy handling of questions when you have to scroll through a list of 50 questions and 20 random ones (70 in total!).

Information such as the discrimination index is useful.

Philip