Jump to Menu when in Parents Role

Jump to Menu when in Parents Role

by Tiffany Morgan -
Number of replies: 11
Hello
I am in Moodle 1.9 have followed the instructions provided at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role; i.e created a parent role with the correct viewing settings via permissions, turned the mentees block on and have assigned a parent to a student through the roles tab for that student. Everything is working as planned with the following exception.

When I login as a parent and click on the courses the student is enrolled in, the jump menu appears in the top right of the screen, and sometimes it does not. If I try to use it I am told that I am not enrolled in that class (which makes sense since the parent is not enrolled in the class)

What I dont understand is why only some of the courses make this menu appear and some do not. So I went into the courses. So far I can only find one course that has the jump menu missing from the resources page (and to be honest, I have no idea why its missing there, but I working to solve that too). But it does not seem to be a colleration between the Jump To being missing in the course, to the Jump To being missing in the parent role.

Ideally I would like the Jump To menu to be gone since it will no do anything for the parent since they will not be enrolled. Right now, though, I would settle for understanding why its inconsistent or hearing how the Jump To menu is working in their institution.
Thanks!
Tiffany
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

Re: Jump to Menu when in Parents Role

by Tiffany Morgan -
Well I am answering my own question and starting another.

I was able to test this by doing the following:
1. Logged in as a parent.
2. Clicked on a course
3. No jump menu appeared in the top right corner.
4. In another browser opened the course as an admin.
5. Clicked resources. There was no jump menu in the top right corner.
6. Adjusted my settings to 10 topics (was set to 1 to hide the other topics and avoid the scroll of death...). None of the topics were collapsed in the course page- I could see all topics.
6. Went back into resources and the jump menu now appeared.
7. Went back to the parent login, refreshed, and could now see the jump menu at the top of the page.
8. Assuming it was the number of topics being set to 1, thus hiding other topics, I returned to the course as an admin, reset the topics 1, went back to course page and clicked resources in the activities block. Jump menu STILL in the top right corner (throwing out my idea of jump being tied to the topics).

So, it seems I solved why the parents see the menu. If its in the course, they will see it.

But now the question is, what is controlling that jump menu?

I am going to move this post from the roles forum to the resource module forum.

Any help is really appreciated as I think Im losing my mind haha

by Paula Clough -

Tiffany,

Did you try coming back into the class with a fresh browser and/or login?  Perhaps once it came up, it would come up again until reset by coming with a new browser window or new user.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by ben reynolds -
This is a me too. Hit control-r to refresh your browser. Then see if that jump menu is still there.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Tiffany Morgan -
ugh..I hate when its a simple answer! *sigh*

So having 1 topic = no jump to menu
1+ topic = jump to menu

by ben reynolds -
Tiffany,
Related to the parent role, which I'd like to implement here.

We haven't thought up an easy way to enroll parents. We're dealing with several thousand students a year, and adding parents manually one at a time is out of the question.

Have you found some clever way to get them in en masse?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Tiffany Morgan -
To be honest, I haven't got that far yet...right now Im just trying to test out the role and adjust permissions to see if it will work for us. So far I found a couple of issues (ability to access names of student throughout the site via message search, for example) that I'm testing first.

Once I think that I have the role the way I want it, then I'm going to try and do that. We are in the same boat - we have many students who we need to associate parents and need to find an automated way to do it...It seems like there *should* be a way to do it, but I dont know what that is yet.

Make sure you post it if you find a way or add a link if you find it already documented somewhere.

Thanks!
In reply to ben reynolds

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
Ben,
It's taken a bit of work, but we've managed to automate the process. We take our source information of parent/student relationships from our student information system, then populate tables in an External Database (http://docs.moodle.org/en/External_database) with parent and course enrolment information.

The only manual part to it all is parents supplying us with a valid email address via a signed, email usage consent form. This is entered into our student information system by our admin staff, and some custom written scripts run every night checking for new email addresses that can be pushed through to Moodle.

We actually don't use the 'classic' parent role as documented as it didn't totally suit us. We actually auto-enrol (hidden) parents into their children's courses, assigning them a 'parent' role that we've defined. We worked hard to ensure that parents didn't have access to other students in any class or any student submitted content - essentially only access to teacher submitted content (assignments, resources etc...).
Cheers,
Michael
In reply to Michael Woods

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Michael
I would be interested in knowing how you customized your role persmissions to allow parents to see course content, but not interact in the course. I am testing that, but there are still a few issues that I continue to struggle with

Thanks!
Tiff

by ben reynolds -
I'm just me-tooing Tiffany's request for more about your customized role, Michael.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Michael Woods -
Picture of Core developers
It may seem like I'm ignoring you, but I'm not smile . Just drowning in some urgent work - will try and post details asap.
In reply to Michael Woods

by Tiffany Morgan -
Thanks Michael! I figured out the magic for getting the parents to see course content as well as info for only their student. Automatic is next!

Thanks again!