Forum Emails not working

Forum Emails not working

le Jill Rochelle -
Number of replies: 26

I may not totally understand the complete process with the forums, but I've got a problem.  If the forum has a forced subscription, when posting to the forum, the emails do not work.  If I allow subscriptions, the emails are sent out fine.  I've confirmed this on 1.9.2 and 1.9.4.  On 1.9.1, I can't even get the forum emails to work.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help or guidance in th right direction.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jill Rochelle

Re: Forum Emails not working

le Mari Cruz García -
Hello Jill,

We have migrated to Moode 1.9.4 yesterday and I was working yesterday exactly in the same problem. Why Moodle is doing this I don't know, but it is as you mentioned: if you force the subscription of all the participants to a forum, they don't get any notifications emails. If you run the cron manually you will see that non emails are sent.

I am advising tutors to tick the mail now box, in which case the mails are send automatically. If participants are not forced to subscribe to the forum, everytime that the cron is run, the notifications emails are sent.

I need to look into the code in more detail to discover why Moodle is doing this.

Regards

In reply to Mari Cruz García

le Mari Cruz García -
Hello Jill,

I correct myself: I tried again today after posting my reply and emails notifications are being now generated even if you force everybody to subscribe to the forum.

So, I don't know what may be causing your problem.

Sorry for not being able to give you any light

Regards

Aaricia/Mari

le Jill Rochelle -

Is your mail server local to the box?  We are using gmail and I'm beginning to wonderif that has somethig to do with it.  I have no local mailserver on the box. 

le Rina Milana -

It's a problem also for me: Forum News doesn't send emails.

Che fare? Qualcuno ha risolto il problema

le Karen Taylor -
We are having this issue also. If you force subscriptions only the person creating the post is sent an email. If subscriptions are not forced, all those subscribed get an email...

Any ideas??

Thanks
Karen

le Fahmy Babjee -

I'm experiencing email problems on 1.9.5 with my Site News forum on the front page of the whole site:

1. when cron is executed manually, the execution stops at processing user 128 ... i don't think it's the user that's causing issues, because i checked his email and his settings and they seem normal
  2. other forums within the courses seem to be working fine, whether or not i force subscriptions, so I think the problem is not the forum lib.php or cron.php or a setting for my mail server.
  3. the default frontpage role is set to student, so technically i don't need to assign everybody manually to the forum, it should be automatic, right?
  4. automatic password recovery via email is working fine. 

Frankly I'm quite tired of this issue, since it's been going on since end of Apr.  I have no idea what's causing the problem, I tried to isolate the issue with the above strategies mentioned, and now I really don't know what else to try.

I seem to recall it was working fine when I was running 1.9.3, but from 1.9.4 onwards this issue cropped up. Tried upgrading to 1.9.5 and still the same, sigh!

i'm wondering whether it's possible to delete the Site News, and perhaps restart a fresh one, maybe that could help, but I'm not too sure how to go about doing this.  Any ideas?

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Mari Cruz García -
Hello Fahmy,

We were experiencing similar problems with the mail server, which it stoppe working properly after a certain number of messages sent.

The proble,m was caused because the mail server sended an extra 250 recipient OK message, which phpmailer discarted.

The solution is describe here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1343335&group_id=26031&atid=385707

Maybe this gives you a clue of what it may be happening in your case.

Regards

Mari

le Fahmy Babjee -

Hi Mari, thanks for the tip, but it didn't work. 

I've managed to delete the Site News forum and sent a test post.  Still not working.

I wonder if there is some sort of bug in the forum module.  Sigh.

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Fahmy Babjee -

I've determined that it is my Site News forum that is giving problems.  Forums within courses are sending out emails just fine, whether or not I force subscriptions.

Running cron manually reveals it hangs at the first "processing user 128" message.  When I disable this particular user's email, it simply hangs at the next user (with a different id), and it appears that the forum cron arranges the email addresses in alphabetical order and processes the users in that manner.  Disabling the next email addresses simply forces cron to hang at a different user id.

Would appreciate any suggestions.  I'm wondering if I should bring this up on Moodle Tracker, but i don't know how to do that.  Any suggestions anyone?

le Fahmy Babjee -

My previous assumption appears to be wrong.  It appears that it wasn't the Site News or for that matter any other forums that was giving problems.  After much testing, I've come to the conclusion that emails with html code, with links or other formatting, which hangs my cron processing.  Emails with no html code in the body other than the occasional end paragraph, get sent out just fine.

Any ideas anyone?

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Ulises Guerrero -
Hello Fahmy,

Are you using a shared hosting environment ? Do you have a certain email sending limits ?

Regards,
Ulises
In reply to Ulises Guerrero

le Fahmy Babjee -

Yes it's a shared hosting environment. 

If you mean whether the company restricts the number of emails i can send, then no. 

When the body of the forum post contains links or other font formatting like bold or strong, then the cron processing hangs at the first user's email (arranged alphabetically).

When the body of the forum post contains plain text, it gets sent out just fine.  The email appears in pretty html format, though, with all the nav bar, etc.

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Jon Witts -
Dealbh dhe Particularly helpful Moodlers Dealbh dhe Plugin developers Dealbh dhe Testers
Hi Fahmy,

Sounds like you are suffering this bug MDL-19266. It has been fixed now in the latest release of 1.9.5. Please upgrade your site to the latest weekly release of 1.9.5 and let us know if it fixes the problem.

Jon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Witts

le Fahmy Babjee -

Finally!! It words great now! Thanks Jon!

Incidentally, during the upgrade process, visiting /admin did not trigger the upgrade.  But everything looks fine.  Is this a cause for concern?

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Jon Witts -
Dealbh dhe Particularly helpful Moodlers Dealbh dhe Plugin developers Dealbh dhe Testers
Glad it worked smile

If you visit your admin/index page it will tell you what version of Moodle you are on. Can you post that here?
In reply to Jon Witts

le Fahmy Babjee -

Moodle 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090610)

It tallies with version.php. So I hope I don't have to worry. So far, so good.

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Jon Witts -
If there were no database changes between the versions of 1.9.5 you were on it may not trigger an upgrade... I think... Please correct me if I am wrong!
In reply to Jon Witts

le Fahmy Babjee -

Yes, that's what I thought too. Hope we're right.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to PHP5.  It took awhile before this bug was discovered.  Very few people use PHP4? Anyway I'm glad my cron isn't broken now and that all forum posts get sent out.  It was very frustrating as I've been experiencing this since late Apr I think.

In reply to Fahmy Babjee

le Jon Witts -
My +1 for upgrading to PHP5! Definitely do it as soon as you can!
In reply to Jon Witts

le Andy McClure -

I am running 1.9.5 with PHP 5 (all hosted at GoDaddy.com), but have the issue forum emails not being sent.  Are there other fixes out there?  Anyplace for me to get help with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

In reply to Andy McClure

le Kevin Mackway-Jones -
We just upgraded our site to 1.9.5 (latest version) with php 5 and have the same problem with an added twist - usually absolutely no posts are sent but just occassionally (say once a day) the site emails out a post, but not from a predictable place or at a predictable time.
In reply to Kevin Mackway-Jones

le Mark Law -
I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the site locally and upgraded it to 1.9.5 but still no emails at all sad

Any suggestions for a fix would be greatly appreciated!
In reply to Mark Law

le Mark Law -
Woops! I had not set up a cron. I didn't know what a cron was, glad I looked it up since it seems that the forum email won't work at all without one!

All is well again smile
In reply to Mark Law

le Jason Lea -
where does one set up the cron? is it a custom page?

we'r are not getting any email notifications either when posts are made in discussion forums