students who have finished course (timeend) are automatically un-enrolled

students who have finished course (timeend) are automatically un-enrolled

by Bruno Vernier -
Number of replies: 4
we are finding that In moodle 1.4, when a record in user_students has timeend set to less than current time but more than zero,  the student gets un-enrolled at the next cron job

I have not yet found the code that deals with this.  This seems like a brutal way to end a course... we need to re-enroll to see what mark the student got for the course.  I propose instead that timeend be used to flag students who have finished and to prevent them from doing anymore work in their course
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruno Vernier

Re: students who have finished course (timeend) are automatically un-enrolled

by Ger Tielemans -

We are working with courses for every quarter of a year, but our teachers want that students keep access to the old courses as a kind of library.

How do you organise that for your students until we have a good DMS?

By the way, I use more and more your dbAdmin, consider to make my own views, looks very easy/handy...

So.... will there be an upgrade to include the new moduls?

(I hope Martin discovers your dbAdmin also for the mainstream, it helps to keep my work as admin more easy, saving lots of mouse clicks for some activities if you compare it with phpmyadmin....)

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Bruno Vernier -
thanks Ger:  I will update dbamin for moodle 1.4 this month smile

ideally,  we want students to have access to their old completed courses but not be able to do anything new  for marks

we don't want anyone un-enrolled ever since we need these records for  the auditors.

In reply to Bruno Vernier

by Dennis Daniels -
Good point that! The auditors are asking lots more questions recently. Teachers are being reminded of attendance policies with more emphasis. Evidence of student participation by date and time is important. More HS in the States are looking to online alternatives for their alternative learning environments ... ADA is a big factor in all school budgets and it all comes down to time 'learning'. If a school can show student participation online then they can and do get the same funds as if they were in class. The advantages of this are enormous, and again districts are looking at online alternatives to keep 'kids in school' but not on campus. The auditors, with cost cutting in mind, might in fact drive many schools into online delivery methods...
Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Bruno Vernier -
For those of us with this auditor problem, immediately edit  line 284 of enrol/enrol.class.php by adding:

return ; 

//this should prevent the cron job from automatically un-enrolling

(if you don't want to un-enroll anyone due to timing out)

if you have already lost a bunch of student enrolments since upgrading to 1.4, you will need to recover them from a backup of your moodle 1.3 data

there remains the problem of distinguishing between active students and timed-out students.  The criteria is simple:  if timeend is non-zero and less than current time

do we want to flag students who have timed-out (i.e. completed, ran out of time, or gave up part-way)  in Participants lists, all places where student lists show up or where names come up in social activities?

I think this could be done with a function like is_timed_out(userid, courseid)  and some extra css