IMS enrollment periodically enrolling random students

IMS enrollment periodically enrolling random students

by Scott Krajewski -
Number of replies: 4
This is a weird one. We're running Moodle 1.9.2 (Build: 20080716). We run IMS enrollment only. Periodically we'll have a few students get added to a course where they don't belong. I've added some keeping of the cron logs and can track it down to the exact nightly run and the exact XML file processed.

For example, in a class 5 extra students are enrolled (according to cron output). They are not listed as being in the course in the XML file that was processed then. There appears to be no real relation between the students -- 2 are in another class together, 1 is not even in the XML anywhere, and 2 are in different classes.

I'm baffled. Anyone experience this? Should I try moving to the csv file method and see if the same things happen?

-- Scott
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Krajewski

Re: IMS enrollment periodically enrolling random students

by Scott Krajewski -
We ran into another course that had 690 students in it! It's only supposed to have 9! I'll be testing the flat file mode for enrollment for now. I'm bummed because I love the IMS module so much but these crazy enrollments are trouble for people's confidence in the LMS/CMS.

-- Scott

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The IMS Module uses regexps to process the IMS enrolment files instead of full XML parsing (see the README.txt file in the plugin directory to see why). Maybe the regexps are not 100% right for your files and they "find" too many users in them.

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Scott Krajewski -
Hmmm, that was what we were thinking. I've split off the enrollments to flatfile but kept IMS for course creation and instructor assignments. This looks like a good option for us going forward.

-- S

by Bob Puffer -
Scott,
We've had best luck with the database plugin. Just load the two fields (userid and idnumber) into a a table in moodle called mdl_datatel. Easy and without problems. Also adapts well to customized pre-processing for those case when you want cross-listed courses to be contained in the same site and have both course's rosters loaded to the same site.