Students can't reply to teacher-generated thread

Students can't reply to teacher-generated thread

by Tim Wilson -
Number of replies: 14
Hi everyone,

We're just starting with Moodle here. I've got a teacher who has created a general forum in her class and has it set so that students can create discussions and reply. She posted a discussion topic, but the students don't see a reply link in her message. As another teacher in the course, I see the link just fine. Students can see reply links to post to one another's discussion topics. Is this normal behavior?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Wilson

Re: Students can't reply to teacher-generated thread

by Luiz Guimarães -
Hi there,

Having the same problem here, and changing settings in the particular forum doesn't seem to have any effect...
In reply to Tim Wilson

by Tony Hursh -
Check the group settings for the course as a whole and for that particular forum.

I seem to recall that we had a similar issue with a forum and tinkering with the group settings resolved it.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Luiz Guimarães -
Thank you Tony!
Changing the group setting for the course to "no groups", and forcing it seems to do the trick all right...but it does seem strange.
Thanks again.
In reply to Luiz Guimarães

by Tony Hursh -
Glad it helped!

I think the problem crops up when you accidentally set a course to groups mode, but don't actually add the students to a group. With some group settings students can only reply to members of their own group.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Jhershierra jelsma -

I AM HAVING THIS PROBLEM

I have done everything and have posted this in another post. 

I even deleted the groups  and just have students and NO ONE can post replies to my posts  and even other STUDENTS  cant reply to THEIR OWN POSTS

In reply to Jhershierra jelsma

by Alex Brown -
I'm also having this problem. There are no 'Reply' links for students in my forums. Adjusting the Group settings in both the course and the forum doesn't fix the problem, e.g. selecting 'No groups' and enforcing. Can anyone help?
In reply to Alex Brown

by Cynthia Alexander -
Are you using a News Forum?  I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that at one point I used a News Forum for a discussion and students could not reply.
In reply to Jhershierra jelsma

Re: No reply using groups

by Matt Vernon -
Does anyone know if this is a system limitation or bug?. Have set up groups and students can't "reply" button not available. have worked every combination to no avail. 1.8.6

Thanks,
matt
In reply to Tim Wilson

by Bruce Comerford -
If your forum is set up for separate groups or visible groups, when the teacher posts a thread they have to select which group their post is going to.

Before the teacher posts a thread, at the top left of the page select the group from the drop down menu. Then post a new thread. The thread will only be seen by the group it is targeted to, and they will be able to reply to it.

I hope this helps - it may not be the issue that you are having. I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to work this out (found the answer by looking at a thread in the Moodle forum on groups).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bruce Comerford

by Chris Witham -
Many Thanks Bruce,

You hit the nail on the head. You might be embarassed but not as embarrassed as me for taking so long and not realising.
In reply to Tim Wilson

by Sebastián Espinosa -

I got the final solution!!!

You need to chechk the attributs of you roles. Edit the Student Role (for the hole site as admin, in User >> Permission >> Define Roles) and set the attribute "Reply to News" in the fourum section to allow. This would solve the problem and any student could reply a post from the new fourum.

I haven't tried but I think that this still respets the groups definitions and properties that you set.

Sebastián Espinosa

In reply to Sebastián Espinosa

by James Fontes -
That worked for me! Thanks.
In reply to Tim Wilson

by omar Olivos -

I had the same problem. In the Course settings I had set the Group Mode to Visible and Force to YES. As you know when force is set to YES the settings in the course overrride the setting of all activities. I had set it to Yes because I wanted to be able to see my students in groups in all activities (forums, assignments, etc). Anyway, I set the Force back NO in the course setting. Then I went back to the forum I was having problems with and change the Group mode to No Groups and the problem was solved.

In reply to Tim Wilson

by Darius Harris -
How do you set up a moodle page as a teacher or administrator?