For gurus of Moodle. Can anyone offer a step by step list to configure e-mail confirmation?(GoDaddy host)

For gurus of Moodle. Can anyone offer a step by step list to configure e-mail confirmation?(GoDaddy host)

by pe bosun -
Number of replies: 16
Hello everybody,
This subject appears often in the Moodle forum, but i can't find a final solution.
Because we, the beginners, dont even know if this is a Moodle configuration problem or a host configuration problem, i would please the proofs here to explain me/us the steps to configure email confirmation.

As a matter of fact my own problem is:
1. a new user can't receive the confirmation email in enrolling proces. No error message!
2. if the admin user sends messages to existing (manual confirmed) users, they receive messages in Moodle when they log in, but dont receive the emails. No error message either !
BUT In both cases the admin user receive emails with the notification for failure notice for email sending to those users.

Go daddy support team just told me to use the SMTP outgoing server:
relay-hosting.secureserver.net

((but this is allready configured in host godaddy php.ini as i observed)
(anyway, when i completed in site administration->server->email the host, the login and the password text boxes, it appears an error message and i am not even notified for the failure delivering) So i let those text boxes blank. Now is no error message, nobody receives emails, but the admin user who receives the failure notice.

so, can anyone offer a list with complete "what to do" steps for configuring email confirmation? (in moodle 1.9.4.)

thank you
petre

P.S. a php script test to send emails, just upload to moodle directory or moodle/auth dirtectory works fine. Accesing that amailtest.php file with the browser it sends the test email. (as in Jade Tippett post from yesterday) The email confirmation erro seems to be then only a Moodle configuration problem????

the jade Tippet's amailtest.php works fine:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Outbound Mail Test</title>
</head>
<body>
<?php
mail("ebos@rdslink.ro","Project Moodle Test","Test content");
echo "mail sent";
?>
</body>
</html>

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pe bosun

Re: For gurus of Moodle. Can anyone offer a step by step list to configure e-mail confirmation?(GoDaddy host)

by Alexander Holsteinson -
The Moodle PHPMailer is not compatible with PHP 5.x so this is where the emailing confirmation when users create a new account is

None of the MOODLE gurus have been able to solve it since April 2007 nor are they addressing this bug to eliminate it apparently due to the lack responses and activities and tracker
In reply to Alexander Holsteinson

Re: For gurus of Moodle. Can anyone offer a step by step list to configure e-mail confirmation?(GoDaddy host)

by pe bosun -
Alexander,
thanx for answering....
You said, we never can send e-mail confirmation, when php 5.x is installed on the host?
But I know people using Moodle on godaddy.com and they can send confirmation emails.... and messages....
I just start using Moodle and allready have a problem... Maybe a migration .... will solve the problem. Suggestions?

In reply to pe bosun

My MOODLE 1.9.4+ email mailer was working like a charm while it was on PHP4.x in Windows as soon as I moved to PHP5.x in Linux the MOODLE PHPMailer is not working correctly specially regarding SENDING the email confirmation to each new user that create a new account

I tried setting GMAIL, GoDaddy and another email SMTP service in MOODLE none worked!

Moodle developers can not solve this one so far...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't think it's PHP5 ... moodle.org uses PHP5, for example.

Perhaps the services you are trying have some sort of spam control?

Try turning on all the debugging under Admin > Server > Debugging (especially debugsmtp) and then run cron.php from the command line ... you might see some useful feedback from Moodle about the error.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by pe bosun -
Hi Martin. Thank you for answering.
ALSO:
1. in site administration->server->mail (one solution is to leave the first 3 boxes blank, otherwise, when completting the outgoing server the user and password must be the email address and the password for it? Someone told me there must be the credentials for database there??? Sounds a bit strange...)
2. In Site administration->Authentication->pop3
the pop3 server must be 127.0.0.1 or must have the IP of the host (or outggoing server???)
is there any other place (except pcts 1 and 2) to configure email sending?

I am really more confused as ever...
thank you
==================================
I turn on all debuging and the messages are ending with:
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "250 2.1.0 ... Sender ok
"
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:
250 2.1.0 ... Sender ok
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data was ""
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
"
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
"
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:
250 2.1.5 ... Recipient ok
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
"
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
"
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:
354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "250 2.0.0 n288R3b3020702 Message accepted for delivery
"
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "250 2.0.0 n288R3b3020702 Message accepted for delivery
"
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:
250 2.0.0 n288R3b3020702 Message accepted for delivery
SMTP -> get_lines(): $str is "221 2.0.0 p3nlh062.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net closing connection
"
SMTP -> get_lines(): $data is "221 2.0.0 p3nlh062.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net closing connection
"
SMTP -> FROM SERVER:
221 2.0.0 p3nlh062.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net closing connection
I don't see here anything strange except Enter mail, end with "."... (i tried like monkey to enter an email ending with '.' but useless.

Does this tell you anything?
thanx again
In reply to pe bosun

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
To be clear, if you specify an SMTP server then you *only* need a username/password if the SMTP server you have specified needs one. You will get that information from the SMTP server administrator - it's not a Moodle issue per se.

The POP3 authentication is nothing to do with sending mail whatsoever.

There's loads of reasons why sending mail won't work and (assuming you have the settings correct) it is almost never anything to do with Moodle. Mail servers are complicated things and it's much more likely to be the setup there.
In reply to pe bosun

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
One more thing.... reading your diagnostic printout, it looks to me like the server has accepted the email. The next step is to check the mail logs on the SMTP server if it is not delivering it.
In reply to pe bosun

by Richard Enison -
PB,

There is nothing strange about

Enter mail, end with "."

if you know what it means. The way SMTP e-mail servers work, the e-mail-sending client program (like MS Outlook or Eudora) opens a connection with the server on the standard port (I don't recall which one, I can look it up; I think it's 25) and sends a bunch of text lines, indicating the sender, recipient, etc. You can send an e-mail yourself that way, using any telnet program. Finally, the server prompts for the msg. itself with the above prompt. It means that when you have entered the final line of the msg., you indicate that by sending one more line, with nothing but a single dot on it.

See http://www.webzila.com/commonproblems/misc/issue28.html.

RLE
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Thanks Martin for your response but there are no spam control set forth on the server and the email bug is limited apparently to MOODLE 1.9.4+ mailer sending the new user registration email with PHP5.x I just checked with MOODLE 1.9.4+ on PHP4.x and this email works ok, so I dont how to fix it

HELP I hate to have to manually confirm the new users

by pe bosun -
Thank you everyone for your time and kindness...
as a matter of fact i still cant send confirmation emails.... and still dont know how (and what) to exact configure the email settings.

Is nobody using godaddy host (de Luxe plan) with email confirmation to make a short "to do" list??
thanx
wish you all a splendid day
In reply to pe bosun

by Frank Ralf -
You might have a look at these posts in Drupal forums:

"Speed of *all* system e-mails too slow!"
http://drupal.org/node/207757
This one claims that system e-mails are send after all but only after a delay of up to 30 minutes.

http://drupal.org/node/207769#comment-683924

"Sending Email using PHP from Godaddy host"
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php#79164

hth
Frank

PS:
Here's an older thread on Moodle and GoDaddy:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=53087
In reply to pe bosun

by david freer -
I am still struggling with this problem. Did you get any resolution?

In reply to david freer

by DeWayne Demland -
For those of you using Godaddy, I have been six days trying to configure my moodle and still failing. I have a few questions for you, did you test moodle on a local drive prior to installing it on Godaddy? Did the export and inport in MyPHPamin work for you? I keep getting "not allowed to create database error". I had to have Godaddy support tell me to modify the sql file and remove a line to work, and I have to use the restore and backup from the Godaddy dashboard. In other words they do not allow the program to work like it did when I tested it on my local drive. Did you find any differences from your testing to your active use? Now I can not get any pics to show up due to some slash argument. When I remove that check box, still no joy. I am on a Linex shared host, do I need to change to a dedicated host through them? I have not even gotten to the email issues yet. Can you please help shed some light on how I can get this up and working correctly? I am so frustrated right now I can stand it.
In reply to DeWayne Demland

by Lisa Dodson -

Are you referring to the email issue in this forum string, or just general install problems with Moodle on a GoDaddy server? 

My moodle is installed on a Linux shared server with GoDaddy and it installed fine.  I have versions 1.8+ all the way up to 1.9.4 which is what i'm currently running.

First off, GoDaddy's FTP Manager is extremely slow, I do not use it.  I also did not install Moodle from their hosting connection site.  I downloaded the package straight from the Moodle site, uploaded it to my server space using my own FTP client and ran the install.php directly from the web.  I also used my FTP client to set directory permissions so that the directories were more secure.  The only thing I did directly through GoDaddy's site was create the empty directories for the moodle install and moodledata, and also created an empty MySQL database. 

Import and export from the MyPHPadmin seems to work fine when I want to restore a backup to the MySQL database.

In reply to DeWayne Demland

by Lisa Dodson -

Are you referring to the email issue in this forum string, or just general install problems with Moodle on a GoDaddy server? 

My moodle is installed on a Linux shared server with GoDaddy and it installed fine.  I have versions 1.8+ all the way up to 1.9.4 which is what i'm currently running.

First off, GoDaddy's FTP Manager is extremely slow, I do not use it.  I also did not install Moodle from their hosting connection site.  I downloaded the package straight from the Moodle site, uploaded it to my server space using my own FTP client and ran the install.php directly from the web.  I also used my FTP client to set directory permissions so that the directories were more secure.  The only thing I did directly through GoDaddy's site was create the empty directories for the moodle install and moodledata, and also created an empty MySQL database. 

Import and export from the MyPHPadmin seems to work fine when I want to restore a backup to the MySQL database.

In reply to Lisa Dodson

by DeWayne Demland -
I took the files and used my own FTP and uploaded it onto the Godaddy server. When I tired to install it through the install.php I got an error. After talking to Godady's tech support after the fourth phone call, they had be install it through their portal. I had no problems with installing it like that. You said you have the database and throug the Godaddy portal, how did you do this?