Moodle and GoDaddy..

Moodle and GoDaddy..

by Megan Mahaffey -
Number of replies: 26

I've tried several times now to install on our GoDaddy account, and continue to have issue with my dataroot directory. If I leave it as the default that Moodle "finds", I get the following:

Notice: Fatal: $CFG->wwwroot is not configured! Exiting. in /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/lib/setup.php on line 84

Warning: main(/pagelib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/lib/blocklib.php on line 14

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/pagelib.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/lib/blocklib.php on line 14

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: redirect() in /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/index.php on line 20

Now, I recognize that these errors are a function of the path does not exist... How can I make Moodle use a real path?

If I change the setting for the dataroot to reflect a folder within my hosting site (yes, I know, not advised, but at the moment, my only option...), I just get an un-passable error. It will not allow me to continue.

I'm not horribly proficient with any of this stuff, but have some brain cells to rub together and make a spark! Obviously, some of you have been able to pull this off successfully! Any advice as to what to create for my dataroot to make this thing work?

Megan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Megan Mahaffey

Re: Moodle and GoDaddy..

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Megan,

> If I change the setting for the dataroot to reflect a folder within my hosting site I just get an un-passable error.

Please cut and paste here exactly what you put in your config.php for "wwwroot", "dirroot" and "dataroot". I imagine you used something like the following:
$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://www.mywebsite.com/learning';
$CFG->dirroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning';
$CFG->dataroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/moodledata';
If there is a parse error, someone here will spot it and advise you how to correct it.

Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Megan Mahaffey -

I'm re-uploading the whole mess now, thinking perhaps I have a missing or corrupted file, however, I can fill you in on it!

rootweb: http://www.indianajh.com/learning   was my original attempt. Reloading now to http://www.indianajh.com/moodle)

This I was satisfied with.

dirroot: I originally left it as the default, which was the /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning

I got errors that indicated that this was no good, which made sense, as my installation was on the web, not my local machine. That being said, I changed it to the same http://www.indianajh.com/learning.

The dataroot is the evil one! I've tried leaving it as the default (again, the same as you listed, /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/moodledata.) It would create the config.php file, but then gave me errors telling me it had issues with the /lib/ directory in the /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning path. It appeared to me that it was using the old pathing for the dirroot, (the /home/c.../learning) which is why I'm now on install attempt #4.. If I looked at the config file, however, the scripting there appeared correct.

If I set the dataroot to http://www.indianajh.com/moodledata (which I set up seperately to ensure proper permissions), it simply won't allow me to pass the screen on the installation. I tried the folder in several locations on my site, it hates it no matter where I put it.

I attempted to create the config file using the /home/c.../moodledata default, and then edit the config file to point to the folder on my server, with no change from the errors initially received that appeared to be pathing problems. In an effort to ensure that the fault was not in the lib directory, I re-uploaded it, with no changes.

My "unpassable error" is within the installation program. I don't even GET a config file if I don't leave the path I know is wrong in the setup!

I hope at least some of that makes sense!

Megan

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

From what you say, you have now removed the "learning" folder and are trying to install into a folder called "moodle".

The $CFG->dirroot setting is the path to your Moodle folder on your server, so it should be:

$CFG->dirroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/moodle';

If you get "errors that indicated that this was no good", please cut and paste the errors exactly as they appear on your screen.

Moodle's data folder should be OK in any folder that you have access to, as long as you have the permissions set correctly. For the time being please use a folder called "moodledata" under your "moodle" folder. Set the permissions to 777 (you can change them later to something more secure like 755) and use the following setting in your config.php

$CFG->dataroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/moodle/moodledata';

As before, if you get "errors telling me it had issues", please cut and paste the errors exactly as they appear on your screen.

I think you know already what setting to use for $CFG->wwwroot, but for completeness i will include it here, please use:

At the moment I get the following error when I try to view your site:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /moodle/ on this server.

So it seems the permissions on the "moodle" folder are not quite right yet. Once you have fixed those, please point your browser at your Moodle home page, http://www.indianajh.com/moodle/index.php,  and let us know what you see.

Gordon

by Megan Mahaffey -

I think I mostly needed to whine about it! My clean install seems to have worked BEAUTIFULLY! Absolutely flawless this attempt- must have had corrupted or missing files on the previous uploads..

Thank you SOOO much!

by Kim Flintoff -

I got this response from GoDaddy recently - about their capacity to handle a Moodle installation.  Is anyone able to advise whether this extension has a significant effect on functionality?

Thank you for contacting Online Support. I have examined the requirements for Moodle that you have submitted, and it appears that we meet all of the system requirements with the exception of the mbstring PHP extension, which is disabled on our shared hosting account. Though this will cause problems with the program, the extent and severity of these problems can't be predicted except by the application's developers; you may wish to contact said developers to see if the disabling of the mbstring extension will cause major problems.

In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Timothy Takemoto -
As far as I know this will only hamper you if you are using multibyte stringes, such as Japanese or Chinese and should not be a problem if you are using English. But I am not sure.
Timothy
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Kim Flintoff -

Just to update - if you are looking at running Moodle 1.6 or better...

Checking your environment ...

We are checking if the various components of your system meet the system requirements

Name Information Report Status
unicode is recommended to be installed/enabled Check
database mysql version 4.1.16 is required and you are running 4.0.27 Check
php version 4.3.0 is required and you are running 5.1.4 OK
php_extension iconv is recommended to be installed/enabled OK
php_extension mbstring is recommended to be installed/enabled OK
  • Storing all your data in Unicode (UTF-8) is recommended. New installations should be performed into databases that have their default character set as Unicode. If you are upgrading, you should perform the UTF-8 migration process (see the Admin page).
  • MySQL 4.1.16 is the minimum version required for Moodle 1.6 in order to guarantee that all data can be converted to UTF-8 in the future.
You must solve all the environmental problems (errors) found above before proceeding to install this Moodle version!

Sadly GoDaddy seem disinterested in updating their installation of MySQL or to provide much in the way of support to work around the very limiting system they choose to stick with.  The issue you have even if you do install an older version is that:

"If you're needing to set up up cron jobs or other scheduled tasks, please be aware that you cannot do so on our shared hosting servers. You would need to use a dedicated or virtual dedicated hosting account for that. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way." 

Although the "Please let us know if we can help you in any other way." does seem pretty disingenuous, when they do not offer any advice on how to install Moodle.  Even when challenged that all the cheap c-panel services with Fantastico can handle a single click installation, they just come back with their empty politesse.

I am a reseller for WildWest - the parent of GoDaddy - I am continuing to lobby them to update their system.  It would help if I could get a groundswell of support to also contact then directly.

Feel free to send the following message to <strong>support@wildwestdomains.com</strong>

"Dear Wild West Domains,

I am actively involved in education and online training through the use of Moodle, a course management system (CMS) - a free, Open Source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities.

Moodle has a large and diverse user community with over 150,000 registered users in over 160 countries.

WildWest and GoDaddy are doing a diservice to their resellers trying to service this huge commnunity of users.  The latest Moodle release requires

PHP 4.3.0 or better
MySQL 4.1.16 or better

and works best with a 16M memory limit set in PHP. Best functionality is achieved when unicode is enabled and the PHP estensions mbstring and iconv are enabled.  Additionally a CRONJOB fucntion is required to achieve the best operational parameters.

Currently the configuration of your shared servers is a long way behind comparable hosts who provide very manageable solutions via one-click installers or adequate system resources to manually install Moodle.

I urge you to upgrade your system to allow this community of educators to work with interested resellers - such as Kim Flintoff at Eyebrow Raised Designs - http://eyebrowraised.com - to further build the educational community and to provide understanding support based on the needs on online delivery of teaching and learning.

Thank you in anticipation.

"

Thanks people.. I really want to get them to move on this.,

Kim

In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Jeeradate Kaowkanchana -
Dear Khun Kim,

Below is the my basic hosting plan specification. It seem to me that Godaddy listen to your requested.

Godaddy.com Shared Linux
* Apache 1.3
* Kernel 2.4.21-4.0.1 elsmp
* MySQL 4.0.24, 4.1 & 5.0
* Perl 5.8.0
* PHP 4.3.11
* PHP5 5.1.2
* PHPMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl1
* Python 2.2, 2.3 & 2.4
* Ruby on Rails 1.1.6
* Tomcat 5.0.27 (available only when Java is enabled) -
updated 08.24.07
* Zend Optimizer 2.5.7

Is it OK for Moodle 1.8 installation.

Best regards,
Jeeradate K.
In reply to Jeeradate Kaowkanchana

by Carlos Blanco -

Im also have a GoDaddy account. Has any body here successfully installed Moddle 1.8+ without a problem? My problem is that everytime I install a course, it comes up as Page can not be displayed.

no_display.jpg

Is there anybody who can help me. Im kinda new at this. Thanks in advance.

In reply to Carlos Blanco

by Rod Ward -

Carlos,

The course shown in your screenshot is a SCORM, correct?

If so:

• Have you tried toggling the Use Slash Arguments setting?
  • What tool did you use to create the SCORM?

I just looked on the GoDaddy website and they are running ASP pages. This almost certainly means they are also running IIS web servers. Which means to get your SCORM courses (or any other course with linked files) working you will need to implement a number of fixes for IIS involving ISAPI Rewrite.

Read this forum thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=80548

In reply to Rod Ward

by Carlos Blanco -
Hi Rod. Im pretty sure that I have a Linux Account, Apache, PHP & MySQL with them. Your right,its a SCORM that I was trying to upload. It did worked on my private server w/c is running Window XP, Apache, MySQL and PHP. I cant seem to find what's the problem here. Hope you can help us out here.

by António Vilela -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

PHP runs in CGI mode on Godaddy Servers.

The only way to use slasharguments in Goddady Linux/Apache1 servers is to add the following line to php.ini: cgi.fix_pathinfo=1

Try asking support about how to do this. On some servers you can do it yourself on cgi dir.  

In reply to António Vilela

by Carlos Blanco -

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for the reply. I will go and try this. I actually gave up on it. Thanks to you, I just got a new spark! I sure hope this works. big grin

It would be nice if more people would try helping with this.

by Carlos Blanco -
Antonio! your a genius!!! It works!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH MY FRIEND! I never thought that it would work but it did! MARAMING SALAMAT PO (thank you very much) wink

by Michael Moore -

Hello Antonio,

Thank you for the clue!  We are hosting a test Moodle environment on a GoDaddy Linux/Apache Hosting Configuration 2.0 account.

Out-of-the-box, when attempting to launch a course, we received an INPUT ERROR PAGE when clicking on the Launch Course Link/Button.  By TURNING OFF the default USE SLASH ARGUMENTS Setting, (under Server > HTTP) we received a PAGE NOT FOUND 404 ERROR.

With your advice, we created both a PHP.INI, (for PHP4+) and a PHP5.INI, (for PHP5+) with your cgi.fix_pathinfo=1 statement and saved it to the ROOT WEB DIRECTORY, ("/" where in our case was the same level as our "moodle" subdirectory).  Here's GoDaddy's Help Comments on this...

If you are running Hosting Configuration 2.0, you can create custom .ini files for both PHP 4 (php.ini) and PHP 5 (php5.ini) in the root directory of your site. Initialization files can be used to manage form, server, and environmental variables, server-side cookies, temporary directories, error display, and error logging.

NOTE:php.ini and php5.ini files must be in the root directory to function properly. These files will not work if placed in subdirectories, whether or not they are aliased to the root directory.

With the PHP.INI file in place, and turning back on the default Use Slash Arguments Option, our course presented as expected.

Thank you again for the post!

In reply to Michael Moore

by Brad Henry -
I am novice on using PHP and new to Moodle. I have Moodle working and ran into the slash argument problem. I have that fixed and now I am trying to get the modules to display all I get is a blank screen.

Without a proper exmaple I am a bit confused as how and where to add the text to a php5.ini file. Here is what I have.

The file resides in the default diretory

http://xxxxx.net

The moodle site is installed in a sub directory

/xxxxx/Moodle

<?php
cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1
$request_method = $_SERVER["REQUEST_METHOD"];
if($request_method == "GET"){
$query_vars = $_GET;
} elseif ($request_method == "POST"){
$query_vars = $_POST;
}
reset($query_vars);
$t = date("U");

$file = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/../data/gdform_" . $t;
$fp = fopen($file,"w");
while (list ($key, $val) = each ($query_vars)) {
fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key START>\n");
fputs($fp,"$val\n");
fputs($fp,"<GDFORM_VARIABLE NAME=$key END>\n");
if ($key == "redirect") { $landing_page = $val;}
}
fclose($fp);
if ($landing_page != ""){
header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/$landing_page");
} else {
header("Location: http://".$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]."/");
}

?>

Warmest Regards,

Brad
In reply to Brad Henry

by Richard Enison -
BH,

When you said you were a bit confused, you weren't kidding!
  1. The file you show in your post is a .php file, not an .ini file. Offhand I don't know which one it is.
  2. I have attached a typical php.ini file to this post.
  3. The line you added,

cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1

belongs in an .ini file, not a .php file.
  4. Search the attached file for "Paths and Directories". That's probably the section where the above line belongs, since that's where all the comments containing "cgi." are.
  5. However, do not use the attached file as is! It contains lots of settings that probably conflict with the settings in the default php.ini file that GoDaddy has set up for all its clients, that need to be there for php to work at all. Ask tech support what you need to include in your custom php5.ini file. Perhaps the above line by itself is all you need.
RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Brad Henry -
Thanks for the input. The sad part is that is what is contained in my php.ini file.

I am not sure how to fix this, so I am off to call GoDaddy and see about the restoring the original configuration.

Do you have any recommendations for hosting providers that are easier to work with?

Thanks,

Brad
In reply to Kim Flintoff

by Tim Colson -
regarding and older post concerning godaddy and cron services - check your control panel - cant from memory remember which tab and short on time to go look but under one of the selections on your hosting control panel you choose which hosting account to open and select its sub control panel - their is one panel that gives you file management and a few other features including one that is labeled "cron services"  i found it one day trying to find a way to use the unzip function that their server reports as available after moodle is installed - no joy there, let me know if you found a way to use it (unzip)  since moving moodle via ftp folder by folder is time consuming and prone to file corruption errors - i cheated, used their online file manager and coppied a working moodle across their hard drives "inhouse" so to speak at the speed of their system bus instead of my 1 meg dsl.  then just wiped out the root config files from the other site - re uploaded my blank ones and reran the install, did this last friday in just over an hour start to finish a working moodle site -

by Tim Colson -

Hi - i have seen all the gripes about godaddy but i have been running moodle on godaddy for almost 2 years - started with moodle 1.5 until they moved to mysql 5.0  i currently have 3 seperate moodle installs running 2 of which are 1.8.  I had one other install that i finally wiped because the debug time was taking more time than a new install - i saw several of the similiar errors you mentioned but since i had 2 previous working coppies my suspicion was the install not moodle or godaddy - just from memory since i cant see your previous post though - in your paths shown above. mine which are working have a slightly different format

yours is similiar to this

$CFG->dirroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning'

something like this is reflected in my strings (look right after the html/)

$CFG->dirroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/mydomainname/learning'

cant remember your exact post but if your web was indianajh.com, then

$CFG->dirroot = '/home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/indianjh/learning'  would be the godaddy server paths

also, the data files are usually listed above the html folder in an apache web site in order to keep it outside the browser environment - unfortunately this also puts them where the xp ftp cant see them either so i override this and force them to be below html until i get them working

thats just my 2 cents worth of experience with godaddy - or should i say 2 pesos since i have been building the last 2 sites from mexico smile

tim

Shooooot - soon as i clicked post and then re-read this, i think i may have it backwards - will check mine in a few minutes and get back to you - not sure but the domain name in the path from logic, should be just before the html level - no i cant remember which is correct, but i know that your domain name is part of the godaddy server path - that is what keeps your learning folder from reading data from my learning folder when we are sharing a same server

In reply to Tim Colson

by Carlos Blanco -

Hi Tim,

I have a GoDaddy account as well and I've installed Moodle 1.8+ 3 times already but i cant seem to get the SCORM uploaded and working properly. Every time I tried loading a SCORM file, all is well. But when I viewed it it just simply say "Page can not be found"

May I know what are your settings with regards to your server, maybe I can make a comparison and figure out what's wrong.

I have a Virtual Server Linux account with GoDaddy. It's been a month and a half that I've been bangin' my head against this wall and I hope you can help me.

The site's address is http://www.pinoyincorporated.com/elearning. You can login as username: demo and password as: demo. Thanks in advance for your time.

by Asterion Daedalus -

Sounds familiar.

I have been looking at selecting between a number of e-learning enviroments for internal training management at work.  Moodle, Olat and Atutor being three of them.  I have grabbed e-learning content from OpenCourseWare to find the same thing across all three tools.  OpenCourseWare "claims" SCORM/IMS compliance.  Moodle/Olat/ATutor "claim" SCORM/IMS compliance.  All three tools can see the structure of the imported OpenCourseWare but none can display the contents - displaying "Page not found".

I have perused the manifest file and it "seems" sound, but who knows???

I have been asking around to discover who it is that arbitrates issues around SCORM/IMS compliance because I can't picture I have installed all three tools "wrong" - having simply followed canned installations.

eXe generated SCORM content seems ok so I am banking on SCORM 1.2 v SCORM 2004 format differences (most often it appears tools are at SCORM 1.2 whilst data is a SCORM 2004, haven't confirmed this as it is currently only a "coffee time" task).

Good luck in your mission.

AD

by Tim Colson -

Back again - cant quickly get to the site right now but using the check php page from moodle 1.8 i found the following

your string above was:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: redirect() in /home/content/c/d/e/cdexs/html/learning/index.php on line 20

in a different post, i think i recall that your web domain was indianajh.com or something similiar

that said, your path on godaddy should look something like this

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: redirect() in /home/content/c/d/e/indianajh/html/learning/index.php on line 20

not sure where the cdexs came from, unless that is actually your domain name in which case disregard this and my last post

tim

by Carlos Blanco -

Hi Megan,

I had that problem before and the best solution so far that I was able to come up with is to remove all installations of moodle including database then re-install again.

It did work but I wasnt able to find out what was the cause of it. My suspect for this is that an error occured during installation.

You may want to try what I did, hopefully it would work. good luck.