"Cannot unzip file" error when installing language packs

"Cannot unzip file" error when installing language packs

by Jeff Johnson -
Number of replies: 2
Friends, Romans, Countrypersons:

I've been trying to install the en_us_utf8 language pack in a new Moodle 1.9 install. When I try the install utility, I receive an error: "Cannot unzip file." I attempted a manual installation; since I use Yahoo I have to unzip locally and then ftp the new files in individually. However, I receive similar errors with the Windows XP unzip utility ("The Compressed (Zipped) Folder is either invalid or corrupted") and 7-zip ("Cannot open file C:\ . . . as archive"). the problem occurs whether I've used IE 7 or Firefox 3.0.6 to either download or directly install the files. It also occurs with all of the (admittedly rather small) sample of other language files I've tried.

I did see a previous mention of a problem downloading through IE, and wondered if it might affect Firefox as well. Is there an alternative way to download language packs, e.g., ftp?

Let me know if more info would help. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Johnson

Re: "Cannot unzip file" error when installing language packs

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jeff,

I can't reproduce your problem. I have managed to download and unzip en_us_utf8.zip with no problem (Firefox 3.0.5 at Linux).
There is an alternative, though. Use a CVS client to check out the language pack from the source code repository. See CVS for Administrators for more info.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: "Cannot unzip file" error when installing language packs

by Jeff Johnson -
David:

Thanks for the help. I finally got a chance to implement your advice earlier this week. Knowing that it worked on your end, I downloaded the language pack using a different machine and manually installed it, and that worked. The install utility still doesn't work from any machine, which is puzzling but not a major problem since I have a viable work around. I'll probably play around with it over the next couple of weeks and see what I can figure out.

Best,
Jeff