Links from Word in Moodle won't work

Links from Word in Moodle won't work

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Here's an interesting problem that I've just identified. If I create HTTP links in Word to a Moodle site page, when I click on them in Word, the page won't load. Instead I get a "The page connot be displayed error" in Internet Explorer. If I refresh, it loads okay. Using Firefox, I get two pages opened up with the same URL.

So far, this only happens for Moodle site pages, and only for pages with associated URL arguments. See the attached Word document and try for yourself.
  • The first one to php.net should work fine.
  • The second the Moodle home page should work fine.
  • The third and fourth will not work. Both point to internal pages.
  • The fifth points to an internal page of another PHP based site with URL arguments and works fine.
Note that refresh loads the pages fine, and it has nothing to do with being logged in or not. Anyone have any ideas?

mike
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Links from Word in Moodle won't work

by Jeff Wood -

Mike,

Very ODD shy

1. When I open your file directly from your message (IE displays your Word doc), links seem to work fine.

2. When I saved your document to my local drive and then opened, none of the links worked (Word reports "Unable to open .... Cannot open the specified file.") Word tries to open the links using Netscape - I'll try to reset the default browser and try again.

Jeff

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Mike,
            I tested your doc at 2 places:

At work ( word 2000 windows xp ) I get the same results as you.

At home ( word 2000 windows 2000 ) with a similar windows platform every things works fine, it bring me to the loging screen before showing the forums.

Bye,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Try saving the document locally and opening in Word, instead of in the browser. Any difference?

by David Scotson -
All links worked for me using Office v.X on Mac OS X Panther.

I like it when Word does crazy things like this, it gives me even more reasons to tell people not to use it.

Just yesterday a lecturer who embedded audio into Word documents discovered that this feature simply doesn't exist in the Mac version, though we all know how bad Macs are for supporting audio. wide eyes