Drag & Drop Question types part of core moodle?

Drag & Drop Question types part of core moodle?

by Christian Eckhardt -
Number of replies: 2
Are the questions types "Drag-and-drop ordering" and "Drag-and-drop matching" part of the core question types? If not, are there any plans to include them in moodle 2.0? To me they look much more up to date than the "matching" question type.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Eckhardt

Re: Drag & Drop Question types part of core moodle?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Actually, those question types have been in the pipe-line for more than a year. I agree that they are needed and was looking forward to their inclusion in 1.9. Hopefully they will become available in 2.0 but Tim will surely give us more specific details about this.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Drag & Drop Question types part of core moodle?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, my inclination is not to, for various reasons:

1. There is a fundamental problem with the current matching question: MDL-5560 (Fortunately, this rarely causes problems in practice.) The drag and drop matching question is based on the standard matching question, so suffers from the same problem. If we are going to re-write matching to get drag and drop, then I would rather fix that bug too.

2. Similarly, drag-and-drop ordering is based on matching, whereas the code would be cleaner if it was rewritten from scratch.

3. Although we considered the issue at the time, and tried our best, I am not sure how accessible these question types are to people with disabilities.

4. It is not very difficult to install these question types from contrib.

5. Since I have plans to change then inner workings of questions I have an ulterior motive to keep the number of core question types smaller for a while.

The contrib question types will need to be upgraded to match the changes in Moodle 2.0, and (assuming I have the time) I will do the necessary changes before the release. Fortunately, the required changes are quite easy.