Regulating forum email announcements

Regulating forum email announcements

by Joan Cichon -
Number of replies: 1

If you are a teacher in a course, but are not subscribed to the forum, will you still receive emails of all forum postings? I am struggling with trying to get only group members to receive emails of postings to a separate group.

I'm willing to regulate ALL subscribers to the Forum rather than try to use the Groups function, since it seems that just choosing the group will not keep non-group teachers from receiving the emails. I have some angry physicians who don't want to receive emails re: a group discussion they are not involve in.

HELP, please!
Joan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joan Cichon

Re: Regulating forum email announcements

by John White -
Joan,

This all depends on how you have the forum set up...
...and on who has rights in the course.

If you use the standard out-of-the-box News Forum then it has its forcesubscribe value set to 1, which means EVERYONE who has the capability 'mod/forum:initialsubscriptions' set to Allow in that context, will get emailed! ... and that means all students and all teachers!

You can HIDE the standard news forum, and create your own with other settings.
If you set the answer to the question: Force everyone to be subscribed? to 'No', you can still drop all the names you wish into the subscribers list (and leave off your physicians!)

But why are they getting emails anyway? Are they teacher/instructors on the course, well that forcesubscribe=1 setting will hit them.
Or have they a similar role, but at a much higher level - say, the system content (whole site) or the category context. The higher up the context level, the more forums might blast them with emails!

So, simply, don't leave forums set to forcesubscribe=1 (that is: the 'Force everyone to be subscribed?' 'Yes, forever' setting).

Then add the subscribers you want to the list.

Hope this gets less grief. regards,

John