troubleshooting import of a publisher's quiz test database

troubleshooting import of a publisher's quiz test database

από Steve Iman -
Αριθμός απαντήσεων: 5
I wonder if somebody could jot me a quick note with suggestions for how to incorporate a publisher's quiz textbank items (simple multiple choice and t/f questions) into a Moodle course. I'm using Moovle 1.9.2+ and have a course configured. My publisher has an instructor's site from which I can download optional files:

1) either a book-wide "Blackboard6/7" database (a zip file which decomposes to an xml file and by-chapter resource.dat files -- all within a directory),

2) Alternatively they offer a database described as "WebCT 4X/6X/VISTA" which decompresses to an xml file and a directory with a subsidiary 'data' directory in which there are 'property', 'quiz' xml files, and a 'questionDB.xml' file)

Within Moodle, I see that I can go to quiz/import, and select Blackboard V6+ or other formats; including a WebCt format. I deselect options to detect category from the file and aim to import to the default category of the course. What I get upon trying to upload either downloaded zip file is "error on upload" and "there are no questions in the import file". This seems strange to me and might mean something to someone who understands much better than I do what's going on. If I uncompress the zip files on my Macintosh, I find subsidiary files with plenty of xml code which can be viewed in a text editor.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. sciman@csupomona.edu
Μέσος όρος βαθμολογίας: -
Σε απάντηση σε Steve Iman

Re: troubleshooting import of a publisher's quiz test database

από Steve Iman -
bumpκλείσιμο ματιού I really would appreciate help. My plans to develop a new course are dead in the water.
Σε απάντηση σε Steve Iman

Re: troubleshooting import of a publisher's quiz test database

από James Scully -
Hi,

I've had some success using the Blackboard format for various purposes.

In the zip file there's a dat file with a string of zeros and a 1 at the end. Most times it works if you import this (expanded from the zip) using the Blackboard import for version 6. If it doesn't try the other one (blackboard). My experience is that converting things to the blackboard format (e.g. Examview) usually works. You may still have problems with any associated media. These may need to be copied separately.

The Webct import work on version 4 txt files, not XML.

Hope that helps

James