Any significant changes (improvements) to gradebook since 1.9.2?

Any significant changes (improvements) to gradebook since 1.9.2?

by Jason Hollowell -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello fellow gradebook users,

I really don't mean for this to be an invitation for a slam festival on the new gradebook or anything like that so please don't get me wrong but...

I am curious if there any have been any significant improvements to the gradebook (in the past 5 months or so) in terms of moving back toward the intuitive usability that was a part of the old gradebook. Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight. I understand that the new gradebook is much more powerful and faster etc. but the hard and very painful fact remains that it is MUCH more convoluted. So much so that we had to completely step away from it for an entire semester at our university for 300+ courses because there was no way that our teachers, who are not all necessarily super computer savy, were going to be able to figure it out.

I am preparing to upgrade to the latest version 1.9.4+ and was wondering if I could look forward to any 'advancements' for the gradebook? I see that there is an alternative out there (LSU gradebook) that looks promising but it is not part of the current Moodle core right?

Sincerely

Jason Hollowell
In reply to Jason Hollowell

Re: Any significant changes (improvements) to gradebook since 1.9.2?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Jason,

You can find our plans for improving the gradebook listed here: Development:Gradebook improvements.

You'll notice that stage 1 improvements are due be implemented immediately, and where possible included in Moodle 1.9.5. Hopefully they'll be added some time next week. Regarding the LSU gradebook, we're hoping to improve the current grader report by adding user-friendly features from the LSU simple grader (MDL-17807).

Please note that our plans for improving the gradebook are still evolving, particularly for stage 2. Thus, as mentioned in Development:Gradebook improvements:

We would really like your feedback on:

1. The changes already proposed here
  2. Any issues that you feel are not yet addressed

We would also like your contributions to Gradebook uses.

In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Any significant changes (improvements) to gradebook since 1.9.2?

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Helen,

Thanks so much for the quick and helpful reply. I will read over the Development:Gradebook improvements link and play with the gradebook some more now that our semester is over so I can:

1. Provide more constructive feedback (to proposed changes etc.)
2. Possibly introduce other issues

And I hope to be able to add another contribution to the Gradebook uses (my first was "Using Weighted Mean of Grades" smile

Thanks again.

Jason