Multiple targets on one image - naming the parts

Multiple targets on one image - naming the parts

by Andrew Colleran -
Number of replies: 3
I am looking for some way of setting up a test with a number of questions requiring the student to link (drag) from a name to a point on an image. The plugin image target habdles one target - I am looking to have about 12 targets and and a list of >12 possible names as answers. How can I do this?

Any suggestions welcome,

Andrew
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Colleran

Re: Multiple targets on one image - naming the parts

by Jeff Forssell -
There is a group of Java applets called PAD Physics Applets for Drawing that I love because they make possible a bunch of graphic exercises (vectors, diagrams, motion analysis) that can be connected to guiding feedback and grading. Unfortunately there is at present no easy way to import them into Moodle. John Isner tested making a SCORM package that Moodle was able to collect the grade from a PAD applet.

If you want to make something new in PAD you have to know (or learn) how to modify some JavaScript. Making SCORM packages of them isn't "child's play" either. I'd really like to make a question Module for Moodle that could really handle these applets well. (But I'm just a few weeks past "Hello World" when it comes to PHP!)

Here is an example using the VectorPAD where students should put in arrows to show the water cycle. I think the usage could (Should?) be described better, but it is a very powerful interaction. Here is another VectorPAD example that I have reworked some: Force diagram of TV on Table. If you were to make a vector picture with 12 "drags" it could get pretty messy.

Another possibility, just using things built into MOodle now, is to have a grid

A
B
c
D
E

over your picture and have a bunch of embedded CLOZE questions with answers of the form A1, D4 etc. (Or if more precision or tolerance is needed one could use numerical x y scales and 2 numerical embedded CLOZE questions with suitable tolerance for the x resp. y position of each target.)

There are some graphical Math tools that some had used with moodle that I haven't had a chance to try out. Maybe some of them might be usable.

This may have been too brief a description, but ask more in that case.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It would be really nice if the image target question type could do this, but it cannot. It would be possible to implement this, if anyone has the time and inclination to work on this code.

by Matt Campbell -
We have a few instructors doing this sort of thing, and they use an image that is labeled (A through M or some such), with arrows to the location on the image. They then use the matching question type, often with distractors, to have the student match the letter up with the name of that point in the image.

Not as nice as having students drag the name to the point in the image, since this lets them know the point they are required to identify, but it works to make sure they know what a particular point in an image is.

Thanks,
Matt