Can students upload files?

Can students upload files?

by Radovan Krajnc -
Number of replies: 13

Is there any module where students have their own place to upload files?

I need this option, because our computer room is rather occupied (8 different students per one computer during the day). Students have to do exercises and save files on hard disk. It often happens that their files are deleted by other students.

Such a module will help them and me.

Radovan Krajnc

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Radovan Krajnc

Re: Can students upload files?

by Jeff Wood -

Hi Radovan,

Sounds like what you are looking for is like a "personal" space in moodle for files?!

My understanding is that this will be coming...

... however, these may work for you in the mean time:

1. have students email the files to themselves
  2. create assignments (this feature already exists) and have students save them to it (allow re-submissions and set marking to zero) they can then access their uploaded files to download at home or school and modify... this will required each student to have their own moodle account.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Radovan Krajnc -

Yes Jeff,

I desperatelly need "personal" space for students in Moodle. You and the others gave me some solutions I can use, but I hope that the version with this feature will be available very soon.

Thanks

Radovan

by Marc Dastous -

Jeff beat me to it.  Create an Assignment in which they can upload the file they are working on.  Then when they want to work on it again, they can download it from anywhere.

For example, in my MS Office class.  If students are working on a .doc, I have them upload the .doc to the server through the assignment module.  When they are done, and ready to submit their assignment, they must convert it to PDF using PDF Creator.  That is the only type of file I will grade.

Granted this would not work with multiple files, unless you zipped them and kept the file size under your MAX_FILE_UPLOAD limit smile

Marc 

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Claudia Scholz -
I'm interested in Marc's comment that he only grades assignments uploaded in PDF.  I'd like to do the same, but I'm not sure I can get the IT department at my institution to install PDFcreator on all lab computers, and students don't have administrative privileges to download and install software on university machines.  It's a real concern here, since relatively few students have computers and those who do have no internet access or dial-up and would be doing their moodling on-campus.

I don't know how to code, so it's hard for me to figure out of this is possible, but I'd like to see a mechanism whereby students could upload, say, a Word file and Moodle would convert it to PDF for the instructor to view... something like goBCL (unfortunately, not opensource evil)

This might be appealing to the server-side folks, since pdf files are often more space-efficient than (bloated) Word files!

Just a thought.

- Claudia

by Paul Nijbakker -

Hello Radovan,

It is also possible to create a "database" by creating a glossary with uploading option. This is useful in combination with the groups function if you want the students to work together on their uploaded files.

Rgrds,

Paul.

In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by W Page -
Hi Paul!

Thanks!  Good Tip!

WP1
In reply to Paul Nijbakker

by L. Vandijck -
I like the trick of creating an "uploading glossary" to allow students to store their work online, especially when several students work on the same project. But there's a problem with "privacy": others can easily read and even download their uploaded texts and use them as their own work.
The work around I plan to use is to set up the glossary so that every entry requires approval before being published. By not granting that approval the entries remain invisible to users other than teachers and the owner/creator of the entry.
May not be a very elegant solution. Is there a better one?
In reply to L. Vandijck

by W Page -
Hopefully all these manipulations will become a thing of the past when the DMS is fully developed.

WP1

by David Fernandez -
Hi,
I also need this functionality, because we're using moodle as a complement to our courses.

I'm working on it, but, i need advice from other developers:

Im creating a new block (user_files), witch only prints the url to the upload/download files, using the same code on files/index.php and adapting it. Instead the course id , the user id. and a variable to configure the user_data (similar to moodledata variable)

The drawbak is: the block is configurable per course, but it points to the same directory, so althought the directory is the same, a student in a course could upload, but the same student in another course couldn't
I'd like this to be configurable by student (some students having uploading, some not), or at least, make it appear on all coruses, or in the main page.
I don't know how to do it.

I'll continue develop (when finished and tested, i'll put here), but i'd like that some of you give me some advice.

And sorry for my english, but is not my natural language.
In reply to David Fernandez

by Jaime Alamo -
I'm using the module userdir.zip commented in userdir "returnfolder" module for my students to upload images, so they can use them in their reports (journals, wikis, forums, ...) but they can upload any kind of file.

Each student can only see their own files, unless you allow it to be seen by everybody. I do this only if the owner asks me to do it.

I use it also to gather files for collaborative works. In this case I set that all files are visible by all students.

See if this match your requirements.
In reply to David Fernandez

See MyFiles block?

by Michael Penney -
Hi David, we're working on something like this also, see:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=14644

Right now its basically working for student upload and file sharing with other students/teachers (we'll have the working version in CVS next week). We're working on connecting it to assignment for students and course files for teachers.

Ideally, it should work with the html editor also. Anyway, if it's the same kind of thing you're looking for, we could collaborate on it.