MyFiles Block coming soon

MyFiles Block coming soon

by Michael Penney -
Number of replies: 42
Hi all, I have a programmer reworking Teemu's nice ePortfolio tool into a more generalized filesharing tool. So far we've got it installing as a block, for both teachers and students. Teachers can share with students, students with teachers, students with students(sharing is done via an interface based on the groups code) it's group aware.

The next steps are sending files to assignments module for students and sending files to the course files directory for teachers (so teachers can use it to move files between courses).

Suggestions, comments, curses, etc?

Thx!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Penney

Re: MyFiles Block coming soon

by Gustav W Delius -
The thing that we need a student file area for most is the image upload from within the HTML editor. We therefore hacked Moodle so as to allow this. If the file area used by your block could be made available also to the HTML editor then that would be great.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Michael Penney -
Hi Gustav, is the code that you used to do this something that we could work with?

I think that would be a great addition, I've added it to our list.

The current plan for instructor was to have sending of files from the block to the course files directory be a manual process, so that they won't see a huge list of files in their editor's file list if they have multiple courses.

Students it shouldn't be such a problem, and maybe we can have a separate "MyFiles" or "SharedFiles" folder in the editor's insertion GUI to keep things straight.

In any event, we haven't worked with the editor yet at all so your code (& deveopment notes if available) could be a great help!

by Teemu Sumi -
Portfolio needs some improvements:

1. Max size of upload file is not correct
2. When you remove the file there is no warning and "are you sure" message
3. Teachers don't have their own portfolio

Michael, please inform me, if you make these changes.

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Michael Penney -
Hi Teemu, thanks for a great starting point!

We've got teacher directory done, teachers can share with students and students with teachers.

We have the warning before deletion top on our list.

The rest is currently (in order of priority):
  1. Set max upload size for students (in code or GUI).
  2. Get injection to course files directory working for teachers.
  3. Set max directory size for students in code or GUI.
  4. Set max upload for teachers to course max.
  5. Get injection to assignments working for students.
  6. Setup GUI for managing student max uploads and directory sizes (if not done in 1).
  7. Setup GUI for managing teacher directory sizes.
We've got some php warnings to clear up, then I'll put what we've got so far into contrib.

by Bob Boufford -
Michael,

This is great! If you can hook it up in such a way that the file space serves as the source for a mini-website that will really make it great. A colleague and I are avid (almost rabid) users of another CMS's Student Presentation tool which provides a mini-website with a shared file space inside the course. Probably one of the least promoted but best collaborative tool in the CMS, which unfortunately is not available in another version put out by the company or in other CMSs. A Student Presentation-like tool of a mini-website connected into the MyFiles Block would give the students another means of publishing web pages when something more is needed beyond a wiki.

The only other suggestion I would make is that faculty have the rights to delete any files uploaded by students. There have been issues in the past of students using the shared file space for "not so legal" music swapping.

Cheers,

Bob
In reply to Bob Boufford

by Michael Penney -
Hi Bob, I'd love to get something like Book working in there in the long run, that is definitly a goal. IMO, Book is a great mod for developing mini websites/papers, and I think students should be able to make books and send them in for grading in assignments as well as have them for their own usage.

So long range goals definitly include something like the book module for student editing and sharing.

On file deletion, right now teachers can login in as the student and then delete their files. This gets tricky though, should teachers be able to delete files students are using in other courses or just unshare them from a teacher's course?

At the college level (where we're at) this could get legally sticky, so we'll probably end up with file deletion as an admin function while allowing teachers to view the student's files and report apparent violations to the admin.

by Bob Boufford -
Michael,

Now that I re-read your message, I see the issue if there is cross-course linkage. In the other CMS, the shared student file space is within the course file space for a course-specific project and not a general "network file space".

However, I would definitely allow the administrator to delete files in case of situations where the files are recognized to violate institution policy on ownership (MP3 music file trading) or becomes a resource issue (large numbers of MP3 music files) that impacts the server (Been there, had to do that) .

Cheers,

Bob

by Jacob Romeyn -
It installed fine, but when trying to upload a file it says " no categories yet".  How do you create categories?
In reply to Jacob Romeyn

by Genner Cerna -
This is nice to know, where can I download the said block?
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Jacob Romeyn -
Use:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/moodle co contrib

and you find it in the contrib directory

by Martin Vögeli -

I have two questions:

1. How is the work going on? Is this already a stable version I could use on my server?
  2. Will "MyFiles" or the "Students' Portfolio" be integrated into Moodle 1.4.3 or 1.5?

I really need such a tool wink

In reply to Martin Vögeli

by Michael Penney -
Hi Martin, we have it working on our testing server, we should be able to put a new version on CVS sometime next week (this week, we're all on vacation here in the USwink.

Right now, students can share with students, with teachers, teachers can share with students, currently we're getting it work with assignments (students can send a file to an assignment in a course) and next step is to work with course files (teachers can send a file to their course files directory).

We plan to use this on our production server starting in January.

by Martin Vögeli -

Thanks for your speedy reply! That's good news. We have a project going on where such functionality is needed very much indeed. It's a writing course where students have to share their texts with others (but not necessarily with everyone). Have a good time!

by W Page -
Hi Martin!

I am working on an online writing course for science students.  Could I take a look at your site and how you have it set up?

WP1
In reply to W Page

by Martin Vögeli -

Interesting! Maybe we can work together? We've just started with our project. In fact it's nothing but a Moodle course under construction and some ideas yet and its written in German - so it won't help you much...

We intend to use MyFiles to let students exchange texts and links. We have no satisfactory technical solution for the writing / reviewing process at the moment. But like I said before - we have some ideas wink

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
>>We plan to use this on our production server starting in January.

Do not be too hasty, there are many security problems in this block.

I do not have time to discuss it more now, anyway we should do it outside of these forums wink

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Michael Penney -
Hi Petr, yes please send me your concerns, at mmp5 at humboldt dot edu.

Even if you can give us a brief idea or hint, that would be helpful.

Also, who do you see exploiting the problems you see? Guests? Students? Teachers?

Thanks!

by Ger Tielemans -

To function as a complete e-Portfolio we need these two options:

• (a choosen subset of) the foliopages of the students must be visible for visitors without login-rights (public view)
  • the student as owner of these pages must have the option to choose which files are visible in this public view and which are not (ue the Moodle eye?)

Working version now in CVS

by Michael Penney -
This version now has admin configurable upload size and directory size limits (one for students, one for teachers) and students can send files from their files directory to assingments.

See block_shared_files in CVS/contrib

Re: Working version now in CVS

by Enrique Castro -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Michael,
I have just downloaded the block code. It got installed in a snap, cool!

But I am missing something. I cannot add anything to MyFiles, I always get a message remembering I need to fill the Name, Category and File fields. And indeed, the category box shows (no categories yet) text. But I cannot add a new category, there is no button to do so. In Teemu's portfolio I remember a button next to category list to add new items to the list.

Is this due to a faulty installation here?, of something missing from the CVS?

- Enrique Castro -
In reply to Enrique Castro

by Michael Penney -

Hi Enrique, yes there is an odd bug with that button, try logging out and logging back in again. We're trying to nail it down, but in my test install (on 1.4.2) it wasn't there at first, then it showed up after logging in/out a few times.

Also, are you on IE/Win or Netscape other platform?

I'm going to have Michael A. see if we can put a default category in automatically, IMO --even once we get the button fixed--that is going to cause users confusion.

by Enrique Castro -
Hi Michael,
Thaks for your fast reply. I will try to log in/out to get this fixed. I am eager to try the module. 
I am using Mozilla and/or Firefox on Windows. Moodle 1.4.0 (it's our test server, not updated yet)

Having a "default" or "root" category is a really good idea.

- Enrique Castro -

by Jacob Romeyn -
I had that same problem first, but after I installed the lasts update, today I have no more problems. File sharing works great.  Some concern for students sharing files during a test.  I'm not sure if the teacher can remove this, exept for hiding file share altogether.

by Enrique Castro -
Hi Michael,
    I have just updated to 1.4.2+, as suggested by Jacob (thanks!). But still not able to add new categories.  I have tried Mozilla and firefox.

Upssss!!!, in IE  the  add category button does show up. So, this is a bug for Mozilla and Firefox. At least now I can add categories in IE, and then test the block with Mozilla. I am sure I'm going to enjoy. Thanks for you work Michael.

Michael, I think we all would appreciate all efforts put to fix this for the "sane" browsers.

- Enrique Castro -

This has some security issues, so don't use on production server

by Michael Penney -
Petr kindly informed us of some security issues with this block, so please hold off using it on a production server until we have a time to fix them.

Re: This has some security issues, so don't use on production server

by Jacob Romeyn -
Will the little "eye" become part of the folder so that it can be closed for each course when required?

Re: This has some security issues, so don't use on production server

by Enrique Castro -
Hi,
After playing around for a whiel with this block, I have found some use problems that need fixing:

a) I do not see how a file/bookmark is shared with group members (group formed before adding sharing-block to course). I am presented all course participants, not only my group.

b) I consider the fine granularity of being able to specify with whom to share the files as a feature. But having to click in all checkboxes can be a pain for large classes . There should be two additional buttons in the file sharing page: "with all my group", "with all course"

c) When a file is too big the script returns a "Not Found" error. Perhaps something more relevant: "size limit exceeded" would be less confusing.

d) The "send to assigment" link seems to be broken due to backslashes "\" in the path.

- Enrique Castro -

by Darren Smith -
FYI same problem with the button not showing on my 1.4.2+ test server.

I am on XP with whatever the latest IE is and the button is also not working with firefox 1

Another vote here for a default category to prevent frustration - why not call it 'unfiled' big grin

Darren

by Martin Vögeli -

Hi Michael! The thread grows longer and longer... What's the status of the module? Do you already use it productively and are the security issues mentioned solved? Greetings, Martin smile 

by Michael Penney -

Hi Martin, the lead programmer on this, Michael Avelar, has been working through the issues noted by Petr in his security review.

We should have a new version ready for testing in mid January and still plan to have it going on our live server by the end of January at the latest.

by James King -

Will this allow for student portfolios?  If so, I would be very interested in following what you are doing as this is a critical part of my course.

Jim K

In reply to James King

by Michael Penney -
Hi Jim, it allows the students to keep a folder of files on the Moodle server, files which they can choose different people to share with.

It's far from a complete solution, but it at least addresses the file storage and sharing issue as a basis for further development.

We're about to release a new version which fixes some security issues Petr found in the initial version.

by Darren Smith -
Hi.

I am sure I am only 1 among many waiting for this release tongueout

Can I ask is the button issue resolved and will students still have to create a category before they can upload files?

TIA

Darren
In reply to Darren Smith

by Michael Avelar -

I believe I have fixed the problem that was preventing the "Add Category" button from displaying properly.  Also, I have made it so that when a user views their My Files for the first time, an 'unfiled' category is created for them automatically.  I hope this will make things a little bit easier for people smile

-Mike

In reply to Michael Avelar

by Genner Cerna -
Hope this feature will be included in the new release...
In reply to Darren Smith

by Ger Tielemans -
What is the problem? If you create the category you come back on the upload screen and can go on with your action.

Need help installing (was Re: MyFiles Block coming soon)

by James Garcellano -
  Hello all!

I need some assistance in installing this block.

Our site is currently testing Moodle 1.5 Development and we tried installing the MyFiles block.  When we did that, the Moodle -> Administration -> Configuration -> Blocks page no longer loads properly.  The table that is supposed to be generated does not come up.  (please see the attached screentshot)

If we remove the shared_files folder from ~\moodle\blocks and reload the page, it comes up fine.

Any ideas/suggestions on fix this issue?  We would like to test this and see how well it works.

Thanks in advance!
Attachment Moodle-Blocks-screenshot.jpg