WARNING: Enrolling on my site

WARNING: Enrolling on my site

by g k -
Number of replies: 8

I got this message when I tried to enroll on my site as a student would via email confirmation.

Warning: Unknown(): write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/home/qhss/public_html/moodle/uploaddata/sessions) in Unknown on line 0

What in the world happened here?mixed 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to g k

Re: WARNING: Enrolling on my site

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

"No space left on device" means the disk is full.  Notify your ISP.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by g k -
Interesting because the problem just evaporated magically.  ???  But can I actually go in and delete the session files without causing problems?
In reply to g k

by W Page -
Hi k g,

I have not had any problems but, you can wait and see if another Guru like Zig  responds.  I would like to see a response to this as well from one of the more knowledgeable folk.

WP1
In reply to g k

by W Page -
Hi k g!

Zbigniew is correct, but you can also go to the "sessions" directory inside the "moodledata" directory and see if you have a large number of session files.  If so, you can empty the directory out and see if you have anymore problems logging in..

I do not know if running the "cron" will also clean out this directory.  Does anyone know?

WP1
In reply to W Page

by g k -

I ran a cron and I believe it may have solved the problem. But now I have another problem smile 

The email confirmation that the user gets does not show the full path to the confirmation page. The email says something like:

A new account has been requested at 'Any organization'
using your email address.

To confirm your new account, please go to this web address:

/moodle/login/confirm.php?p=jcrFDhyP8yoUmYe&s=g

Notice that the domain is missing.

It should read http://anyorganization.com//moodle/login/confirm.php?p=jcrFDhyP8yoUmYe&s=g

Do I fix this in the config file?

In reply to W Page

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

I think it's highly unlikely that sessions files would cause a disk full error. The sessions files are quite small <2.5K in size.

The PHP interpreter itself is supposed to handle cleanup of stale session files. Even if that somehow got broken, you would need hundreds of thousands, if not millions of stale session files to use up a lot of disk space on modern disk drives.

Unless you are running Moodle on obsolete hardware, the typical cause of a disk full error would be some runaway (non-Moodle related) process which filled up the disk drive with garbage data. Another possibility would be users (or hackers) storing a lot of audio/video file-sharing data on the disk.

In reply to W Page

by Timothy Takemoto -

I don't see a sessions directory in my moodle data directory.
Is it sometimes somewhere else?

In reply to g k

by Bryan Williams -

Permissions must be set to write to the moodledata directory, this may be the problem. Chmod to 777.