I need an advice for a hosting Company... Does anyone know how goDaddy/NTC Hosting works with Moodle?

I need an advice for a hosting Company... Does anyone know how goDaddy/NTC Hosting works with Moodle?

by pe bosun -
Number of replies: 16

hello everybody,

I know, the right answer is to find a host acting as a Moodle Partner, but i want to know what desadvantages do I have if I choose a regular host like goDaddy with 84USD/year (150 GB space, 1500 GB bandwidth).

except the maximum simultan connection is 50 users and MySql limit is 200 Mb. Could i start a moodle site with Godaddy?

or using a NTC Hosting Moodle host plan for just 108 USD/month? (80 gb space 600 gb traffic etc.)

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to pe bosun

Re: I need an advice for a hosting Company... Does anyone know how goDaddy/NTC Hosting works with Moodle?

by Marc Grober -
First off, there are no "right" answers with respect to hosting decisions.

In response to some of the discussion on this and similar questions, the following resources are in development:

http://docs.moodle.org/en/experimental:Getting_Help_Installing_and_Managing_Moodle
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Finding_and_Selecting_A_Web_Host
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Web_Hosts

While your question might seem very simple, the answer depends on what your ultimate goals are (for example a small Moodle on DH will set you back very little and you can be up and running in minutes.....)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: I need an advice for a hosting Company... Does anyone know how goDaddy/NTC Hosting works with Moodle?

by Richard Enison -
MG & whoever else might know,

When I saw PB's post, I had not heard of NTC before, so I visited their website. It features a web hosting plan they call Moodle Web Hosting Plan, which they describe and use the Moodle logo. Is this a violation of the Moodle trademark, or did they get permission?

RLE
In reply to Richard Enison

by Marc Grober -
I had asked the same kind of question in a bit more pointed manner on Moodle.com and received some intriguing responses ;=}

If you are interested in the correspondence perhaps you could suggest someplace to post it and I will do that.......
In reply to Marc Grober

by Genesis Salvacion -
Hello,

Try siteground.com.

Thanks
In reply to Marc Grober

by Richard Enison -
MG,

I have looked over the list of forums in this course and none of them seem appropriate. Perhaps the Social Forum in the Lounge course would be the place to post the correspondence.

But I would settle for a brief summary here, like "Yes, it is a violation," "No, it isn't,", "They got permission before using the name," or "Our legal staff is thinking about it." There are, of course, other possibilities; those are just examples.

BTW I added a brief note to the Talk page of http://docs.moodle.org/en/Finding_and_Selecting_A_Web_Host, which includes a link to a post of mine including a list of links to posts and discussions on various web hosts (including some pro and one con siteground.com).

RLE

by Marc Grober -
Thanks...

I am hoping to push as much as I can regarding details about web hosts to the Web Host docs page where I also created a matrix to try to provide a way to get a quick read.... I suppose the best thing would be to do a bit of a google spreadsheet so that one could sort by some values or some such, but if no one contributes, nothing will really be of much value..... sooooo thank for putting the info on the talk page and I will see what I can do to massage something up that is usable without being litigious ;=}

I sent you a moodle message regarding where you can find the correspondence on NTC.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The NTC site currently uses our trademarks in a way that is clearly a violation of the License, and we have been chasing that since last month when we found out about them. They have obviously not changed their site yet but we are talking to them.

The teachers4schools site is a completely separate issue that Marc is getting confused about. In my opinion they don't advertise generic Moodle services at this stage and are not violating the license.

Some sort of public declarations of all these decisions sounds like a good idea at first, but has its own set of problems as sites and situations change.

The short of it is simply this: if you care about those of us producing Moodle and you want to use your hosting dollars to help the Moodle project then use the companies we list on http://moodle.com. If you don't want to, then don't, that's your choice! smile Moodle.org is here for you regardless.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marc Grober -
Casting aspersions are we, Martin?

As far as NTC vs teachers4schools or any of the other sites offering "Moodle hosting" readers can see for themselves.....
Now here is where it would be nice to have a poll to determine how many folks are "confused" about which of these two firms is competing with Moodle Partners..... NTC, which is lucky to snag a few bucks for hosting or teachers4schools, which landed at least one $14K contract for moodle services, including system administration, that even MPs were amazed with. It is pretty clear to me where the damages are.....

Don't get me wrong, I am not an MP fanatic as some of the prior discussion might evidence, but I don't see how NTC can lose an infringement battle where teachers4schools is actually demonstrably costing moodle.com money while NTC is simply letting folks know they have an install script (i. e. NTC could make a claim of fair use. See this URL for a discussion of tradmark damages in the US under the Lanham Act if you are interested: http://www.hunton.com/files/tbl_s47Details%5CFileUpload265%5C333%5CDamages_In_Trademark_Cases.pdf

But that is not the issue here. Richard simply noted that NTC seemed to be using the logo to advance its business, which would appear to be a technical infringement. However, since trademark law protects the financial value represented in a trademark and NTC makes it clear that they do NOT offer anything beyond an install script, yanking their chain without going after others, which might include those who are actually financially damaging Moodle.com, seems to me to render enforcement dubious.... Moreover, in as much as a few keystrokes will provide quite a few similar examples of NTC's usage, any courts would have to consider whether Moodle had abandoned its trademark (suggesting that HQ only found out about NTC in December, while technically accurate, suggests that HQ has been lost in the outback) in addition to fair use questions.

if HQ has a legal opinion to the contrary I would certainly be interested in reading the analysis.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's important to make the distinction between
  1. someone choosing to use Moodle for a business, which is totally fine no matter how deep their use of it, and
  2. the way it is *advertised*, which is what the trademark and license covers.

Thanks for your concern Marc, but we're OK for advice on this, thanks.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marc Grober -
Martin,

While your caveat may be accurate it is irrelevant to this discussion and you are, of course, entitled to your opinion; confused, misinformed or otherwise. I am just encouraging you to share the basis for any opinion with us poor unwashed..... I do understand, however, that Moodle.com, as a private business under close control, has no intention of sharing that analysis.

That would appear to conclude this episode of Moodle Manor. Tune in next week for......
In reply to Marc Grober

by Mark Temple -
I have been using GoDaddy as a hosting environment for a while and have 3 nicely functioning Moodle deployments which have been up and running for about 5 months each.

I currently have about 250 users on one site and we get about 20-30 unique users a day, with some peaks of 120-140 users a day for a few certain periods of the year. For this account I have the unlimited storage/bandwidth hosting account on GoDaddy, with a virtual shared server.

My question is how can I know when I'm getting close to the limit with my GoDaddy account. I would think I'm getting pretty close now, but am not entirely sure. We plan on having about 1,000 users by the end of the year and probably up to 4,000 by the end of 2010.

Does anyone have any idea of the amount of concurrent users that GoDaddy can handle? I've heard 150 for the Premium/Unlimited site and 50 for the economy.

To say the least I am looking into other hosting accounts...

In reply to pe bosun

by Richard Enison -
PB & everyone else considering web hosts,

I just visited NTC's website. I think you mean $108/yr.

RLE

by pe bosun -
yes, indeed, sorry
$108/year
thanx
In reply to pe bosun

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Disadvantages?

I have used many hosting services and there are a number of disadvantages which you can manage if you are aware of them and if you ask the right questions. Remember in a hosting service, you are sharing a server with perhaps a hundred other websites, so the hosting company has to prevent one website from dominating and hogging all the memory and CPU power.
  1. Limited number of simultaneous users -- about 25 in the case of bluehost.com, similar for other services.
  2. Possible shutdown if you exceed CPU usage, throughput--ask what are the limits, and what will happen if you exceed the limits
  3. Limited storage--some now offer unlimited storage, but don't think of using video because of throughput issues
  4. Possible upgrade problems--some hosting services will not immediately upgrade MySQL, PHP, Moodle or other pieces of your server configuration to the latest recommended versions.
  5. Heavy modules may not be possible--chat for instance
  6. No contribution to Moodle development--a portion of your hosting service fee is not sent to Moodle HQ to support core development.
As for GoDaddy, I would expect 50 simultaneous users will not be possible. GoDaddy will not be able to answer that question, but you can ask what will happen if you exceed their CPU, memory or throughput limits.

The advantages of hosting services I find are: 1) cost, 2) fast, easy setup, 3) good server tools (cpanel for example).

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Sharon Goodson -
Sounds like good stuff for the 'finding and selecting a web host' page!

Marc- could you post the comments on the Web Host comment page?

As far as hosts like GoDaddy, you will most likely run into problems. We initially started running Moodle on one of our existing hosts (Fatcow) and experienced all but one of the issues Don mentions (storage had not YET become a problem). We were constantly running out of memory and before it was over, our database had become a tangled mess, forcing us into a perpetual maintence mode. And we only had about 50 students at that point, and only 8-10 users max were online at a time!

Now, we still use fatcow for email accounts and a Moodle sandbox (can't beat the price!), but we only have one or two users (being admin) tinkering around the test site at any given time (no real new user data, chat, assignment submissions, ect. - the normal moodle stuff), so the demand is practicly nill.
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Nick Syed -

Check us out for your Moodle hosting needs, we provide free video hosting plugin directly into your courses, send us an email on support@olk12.com and we will contact you or give me a call directly on 603 661 7498.