map quiz to achievement level

map quiz to achievement level

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I should know this but my brain is tired sad I want to get the results of a quiz to be displayed as a level (UK National Curriculum Level) instead of percentage.  I thought I could edit letter grade to the grade scheme we want but I can't even find the letter grade result in the quiz result in the gradebook. I know I can use the feeback in the quiz settings to inform students -ie, you got 75% so you are at Level 5. But I wanted it to appear in the gradebook too so teachers don't need to keep checking which % relates to which level. What setting am I missing here? Is this a case for my using Outcomes?
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: map quiz to achievement level

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mary,

You can edit letter grades via the edit letters in the gradebook dropdown menu, however your edits will apply for the whole course if letter grades are used elsewhere (see Grade letters for more details). You can then change the grade display type for your quiz to 'Letter'.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Helen - I had already changed the letter grades as you suggested but I am lost looking for where to change the grade display type ...? I must be looking in the wrong place???
I see what you're getting at Mark (hi smile ) but I just want a simple way of the quiz scores showing up as levels in the gradebook so teachers don't have to work out the levels from percentages. I thought editing letter grades as Helen said was the way - but I can't find where to change it in the quiz.
Just wait now - as soon as I have typed this I will find my own solution - always happens!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
(replying to myself here) See - I told you! I was looking in the wrong place for display grade-looking in the quiz settings -just had a thought to go to the grade book and turn on editing and click on quiz there-and - obvious! I had the answer under my nose all the time... smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Guy -

Hi Mary,

I currently use a custom scale in an off line assignment, extended to 1c......9a.. Put the percentage in the comments and the Grade in as a level. I then put a grid of percentages and levels in the text area (a scanned gif image file) of the Assignment. Kids then see there percentage the grade boundries and levels in grade book. (The levels can then be averaged provided they all use the same scale)

Oh the scale seems to be stored as a numerical percentage, so the bottom level=0%, top level=100%

I allso have a GCSE scale extended to 11 items of U** to A**. this means a 50% =D, 60%=C, 70%=B, 80%=A and 90%=A*. I concluded if a kid got over 99% they deserve A** in the hot potatoes quiz I use to mark  multichoice exam papers papers.
It is going down great with the management since pupils are starting to compete to get high scores.

Since I mark and Grade tests internally I level them and put in the Scale letter as above. Seems to work ok for the moment.

Regards