Lesson deleted before backup

Lesson deleted before backup

by Debbie McDonald -
Number of replies: 1
Is there anyway to restore a lesson that was deleted, a back-up was not made of the lesson. My guess is no but I thought I would ask just in case.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Debbie McDonald

Re: Lesson deleted before backup

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Debbie,
Sorry to hear about that. Been there, had that happen to me where I asked "how did that happen and OMG I didn't make a backup?" For example, I was typing this and one of my kittens decided to step on the powerstrip switch and my computer died instantly and I had to start all over. Life happens big grin

There could be some hope. Backups can be made on many different levels automatically and without a human pushing a button saying "backup now".

The next place I would look is in the course administration block under files. Remember Lesson is part of a course. Some sites tell the course to back itself up automatically and only keep a certain number of backups. Course files are located in the files link in a folderr called backupdata. You might get lucky and find a recent course backup there. Check MoodleDocs and only restore your lost lesson.

You might have your Moodle site administrator check this for you. Your assigned role in the course may not allow you to restore or perhaps even see the backupdata folder if it exists.

Your server administrator might be able to help you. Severs can back themselves up in more ways than you can move a mouse across the screen. The server administrator is looking for /moodledata. The courses are in folders with numbers. The number of the folder of your course can be seen in the address bar where part of it says id=1234. The site administrator might be able to extract just the zip files in say /moodledata/1234/backupdata. You or your Moodle site administrator would move copies of the zip files to your course and do a careful restore.

When I am unsure, I restore everything to a new course. Then import the Lesson from the new course (older version of my course) to my "real" course.

Experience tells me that taking a server backup copy of the "1234" course folder, will only grab the course files, such as images that go into the Lesson, but not the Lesson itself. There has to be a backupdata folder with a zip file inside which will be used to restore the Lesson.

Creative visualization. Once you get or find the backup zip file, then you should ONLY restore your lesson. MoodleDocs can help you there.

Good luck,

Chris