unzipping files in moodle

unzipping files in moodle

by Martin Jowett -
Number of replies: 5

I have uploaded a big SCORM package in a zip folder, how do I unzip it ?

Do I do this within my ftp software on the remote server or within moodle ?

Moodle 1.9.3+ (Build: 20081204)
hosted on a linux server

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Jowett

Re: unzipping files in moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Was it zipped in the first place? I mean. as a SCORM package? Because when you add SCORM activities you don't unzip the package; you add it as it is.

If you mean  you put the SCORM package into a folder and zipped that up,  then if you uploaded via ftp  you wouldn't have needed to do that -  unless I suppose it was that massive it would have taken a long  time to upload.Then you should be able to unzip within Moodle just down to the SCORM package itself.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Martin Jowett -
The Scorm Package was supplied as a zip and Longman support said to 'unzip it manually' once uploaded. 600mb zipped !

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Martin,

This seems to be similar to your question in another post in which I explain how to get Moodle to create the proper SCORM directory structure for a course.

However, now that I know how large your file is I understand your statement that you are having problems with manually unzipping the file. I am not sure how your server is configured, but it is very unlikely that using Moodle to unzip such a large file will be successful. If available, you will have to use a different method of unzipping it. Out hosting company provides a unzip utility in the control panel. If you have shell access you can also do it that way. However, the first step is to create the proper SCORM directory structure as I described here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=113451#p498132. You could possibly do this manually if you know the "courseid" and the "scoid" of the SCORM activity that Moodle generated.

Assuming you do not have a way of unzipping the file on server you have two choices.
  1. Break up the zip file into smaller pieces. Assuming most hosted sites can handle unzipping a file of about 10 MBs using Moodle, that means you will need to break up the file intoabut 60 smaller files.
  2. Unzip the file locally and use ftp to upload the unzipped files.
Let me know if that helps.

Ron

In reply to Ron Meske

by Martin Jowett -

The people managing my remote server are going to unzip it for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I guess commercial products are likely to be this size? it is the ICT4Life longman package I am trying to set up, their technical support have been good but only explained the steps beyond manual unzipping the file once uploaded.

BTW Their database we have on the school network is pants for viewing and marking work hence moodle.

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Good to hear you found a way to get the file unzipped.

Commercial products will vary in size depending on the content. In the business market, the training packages that we create for our clients have ranged from 5 MB to over 150 MB depending on the subject matter we were developing the training for, how much audio was used, the volume of images, and if video was used.