Hide posts until a student has written their own post?

Hide posts until a student has written their own post?

by Davo Smith -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Is there any way to set up a forum, where students are not able to see any posts until they have added one of their own?

The reason for this would be to get every student, at the start of a lesson, to post one difficulty / misunderstanding they have about last lesson's work and then attempt to answer someone else's question. It would be good to get everyone to post their questions before they start reading what anyone else has written.

If there is no built-in way, I can always just insist on them writing their question first (without using technology to enforce it).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Davo Smith

Re: Hide posts until a student has written their own post?

by ben reynolds -
Sort of.

You can use the Q&A Forum type. Go into Override Permissions > Student
  • change Start new discussions to prevent or prohibit
  • change Delete own posts (within deadline) to prevent
  • Bug Alert! change Edit any post to prohibit [somewhere in Moodle a role or something trumps this prohibit, allowing students to still edit their Q&A posts]
There's been a lot of discussion about the 30 minute forum editing deadline. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to reduce that deadline is globally (site wide), which will anger your compatriots.

So, you can prevent deletions and new discussions, but you can't stop editing.

You can deter editing by telling students that you can see when they have edited. Here are some lines from the log of a sample student. I added the right hand column. So, between being caught and playing fair, you can probably deter students from changing their answers. More below the table.

Tue 30 December 2008, 01:39 PM 10.181.83.84 ben student1 forum update post Re: teacher asks a question EDIT
answer
Tue 30 December 2008, 01:38 PM 10.181.83.84 ben student1 forum add post Re: teacher asks a question post
answer
Tue 30 December 2008, 01:37 PM 10.181.83.84 ben student1 forum view discussion teacher asks a question read
question
Tue 30 December 2008, 01:37 PM 10.181.83.84 ben student1 forum view forum Q&A Forum Test enter
forum

Some bright soul thought to make the classroom logs very helpful. If you go to Reports, choose the Q&A forum, and the action as "update," you get a convenient list of all the updates. All you have to do is sort edits to original posts from edits to comments to others.
In reply to ben reynolds

Re: Hide posts until a student has written their own post?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, the Q&A forum appears to be what I want. I'm not worried about students deliberately changing what they put (once they have seen everyone else's), just worried that seeing the other responses would subtly influence what they were going to say.

I'll create a Q&A forum, post a question 'what was one thing you were unsure about from last lesson', then get students to post their questions and allow other students to respond to them.

Thanks!