Pay-for-training control?

Pay-for-training control?

by Matt (M) -
Number of replies: 12
[I'm a rookie and struggled with finding an appropriate place for this question. Are there good places to post general looking-for-feature or feature-upgrade-request questions?]

I'm looking to apply Moodle for business purposes that will eventually want to charge for training. I'd like to collect payments on a per-client-organization, per-student, or per-class basis.

Can Moodle do this now...or in the future?

-Matt
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt (M)

Re: Pay-for-training control?

by N Hansen -
Moodle is supposed to be able to do this in 11 days, when version 1.4 is released. So you don't have to wait long.
In reply to Matt (M)

by Richard Treves -

Matt,

You might like to sign up for the moodle for business forums, go back to the home page for a link

Richard 

In reply to Matt (M)

by Marc Dastous -

1.4.dev has it as of Friday/Saturday night; and it works GREAT!!!  There are really no instructions just yet, but essentially you have to:

1. Go to ADMIN --> ENROLMENTS.
  2. Change the Primary method of enrolment to PAYPAL
  3. Fill in the necessary information in the form and save.
  4. Then in the course you wish to charge for put a $ value in the course settings for the cost of the course.
  5. That's it.  When someone without a key wants to login to a course that requires a fee, they will be taken to Paypal to make payment.

The users are automatically enrolled in the course once the payment has been accepted b y you.

Remember, Paypal has a very "greedy" fee structure for business and premier members.  If you do less than $3000 US every month, expect to be charged 2.9% + 0.30 for each transaction.  Therefore, on a $100 course, your net would be $71.70.

For personal use it is free, but you cannot receive credit card payments.  Not very convenient for your customers.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Oops Marc,

Better re-work your numbers.  That would be a fee of only $2.90 plus .30 on $100--netting $96.80.  They do charge an extra fee, though, if you have international clients who have to convert--I'm not sure what the rates are but it adds about another 1%.  Actually, PayPal, even though its kinda gotten cheesy with the Ebay stuff, is still really the best deal around, especially if you do not have a merchant account.

Chardelle

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Marc Dastous -

blush  OMG!!!  Thank goodness I'm not a math teacher; what a terrible mistake!!!  Thank you for correcting that.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Ralph Blakeslee -
I am currently setting up an account with 2CheckOut. When you set up a product with them they give you the option of inputting a url for customers to be sent to on a sucessful purchase (see picture below). Can anyone comment on how this might be intergrated into the new Moodle structure?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

Attachment 2checkout.gif
In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Moodle 1.4 now supports enrolment modules - the new Paypal module is just the first of many.

A plugin to support 2checkout might be something you want to sponsor via moodle.com/development.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have a web application I created that uses a service called DigiBuy. They process credic card transactions for a take of 13%. One of the nice things they do, is to send purchasers a unique serial number based on a list uploaded by the authors.

I have used this as a way of creating a "use once" key for my service. Thus the user keys in their details plus the key. Once it has been recognised by the local database it is invalidated (so it cannot be used more than once) and the account is created. Could this be programmed to fit in with the enrollment module architecture without excessive surgery?

Marcus
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Alvin Shaffer -

Is authorize.net on the horizon?

I know your first concerns lay nowhere near payment modules, just curious smile

In reply to Alvin Shaffer

by Matt (M) -
I'm obviously a rookie when I ask: Can authorize.net do things that paypal.com can not? Any other reasons for authorize.net?

I glanced at their web page. My first guess at an additional benefit would be a "transparent" collection page, where the buyer/payer is not aware of the details of the payment-collection mechanism, it just looks like a credit card is going straight to your organization, no knowledge of paypal.com or anything else under the hood (my apologies for my run-on sentence...).

-Matt
In reply to Matt (M)

by Alvin Shaffer -

Basically authorize .net would be transparent. Once you have an account with authorize.net, all you have to do is securly post (cURL) to the account with specified format and categories. Through cURL you will have instant notification of and accepted payment with the credit card. With this you could allow instant access to courses. The reason I like this method more is 1) it is transparent to the user 2) they don't have to have any type of account (ie: paypal)