Can I build courses BEFORE uploading Moodle to a server?

Can I build courses BEFORE uploading Moodle to a server?

by Esquire Legal -
Number of replies: 2
Hello.

I am new to Moodle and am wondering if I can experiment with building a Moodle course before paying for web hosting and uploading my Moodle site to a web server.

Is it possible to simply install the software on my computer and experiment locally from there without a website and server?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a total noob question...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Esquire Legal

Re: Can I build courses BEFORE uploading Moodle to a server?

by Esquire Legal -
Think I found the answer to my question...

I found a reply by Alan Hess to another beginner which stated: "The "xammp" package is for running a server on a windows machine. This is not what you need, the package is primarily intended for people who have no domain or server and want to try Moodle locally on a PC."

So, I guess I can do my offline experimenting with Moodle by installing the Xammp package on my computer, correct?

In reply to Esquire Legal

Re: Can I build courses BEFORE uploading Moodle to a server?

by Richard Enison -
EL,

Absolutely. And the simplest way to do that is to go to the Moodle Download page and click the Windows Packages tab at the top. Then click on the link for the version you want. Each package includes everything you need: Apache, MySQL, PHP, Moodle, and software to automatically install all of it. There's a link to the documentation on these packages at the top of the page. They are for local use only; they should not be installed on an Internet server, for security reasons.

RLE