Can't override or assign role to guest for adding forum topics

Can't override or assign role to guest for adding forum topics

by Rob Byrd -
Number of replies: 2
I have Moodle site administrator privileges and don't ususally allow guests anywhere. But for this one "course" that is only some teachers and some evaluators (we're using the course as a content management system with discussion capability). They also want guest students (not otherwise having accounts on Moodle) to be able to post in a couple forums.

So far I have edited the site role for guest to "Allow" several actions for the forum assignment as pasted below, including "start new discussions. I also edited this role at the course level. I can login as guest using the Auto-login to courses that allow guests" option and enroll in the course using the enrollment key, but when I try to start a topic (using the general forum assignment type) I get:
"Sorry, guests are not allowed to post.

Would you like to log in now with a full user account?"

The single discission format simply gives this info block:
"You are currently using guest access (Login) :"

My version is: Moodle 1.9.2+ (Build: 20080730)

From the course settings page:
-- "course enrollable" = yes
-- guest access = "allow quests who have the key"

Add newsmod/forum:addnews

Spam risk
Create attachmentsmod/forum:createattachment

Spam risk
Delete any posts (anytime)mod/forum:deleteanypost

Delete own posts (within deadline)mod/forum:deleteownpost

Edit any postmod/forum:editanypost

Spam risk
Initial subscriptionmod/forum:initialsubscriptions

Manage subscriptionsmod/forum:managesubscriptions

Spam risk
Move discussionsmod/forum:movediscussions

Rate postsmod/forum:rate

Reply to newsmod/forum:replynews

Spam risk
Reply to postsmod/forum:replypost

Spam risk
Split discussionsmod/forum:splitdiscussions

Start new discussionsmod/forum:startdiscussion

Spam risk
Throttling appliesmod/forum:throttlingapplies

Spam risk
View any ratingsmod/forum:viewanyrating

View discussionsmod/forum:viewdiscussion

View hidden timed postsmod/forum:viewhiddentimedposts

Always see Q and A postsmod/forum:viewqandawithoutposting

View ratingsmod/forum:viewrating

View subscribersmod/forum:viewsubscribers
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Byrd

Re: Can't override or assign role to guest for adding forum topics

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi there. Well there is this earlier forum post that might be of use to you, but might it not be simpler just to create a basic guest login -ie, username guest, password guest, and make it very restrictive, rather than fiddling around altering permissions?
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Can't override or assign role to guest for adding forum topics

by Rob Byrd -
Thank for the link to the previous discussion (I'm embarrassed that I didn't find that before starting a new post, sorry :-|)

I did try just creating a guest user called guest, etc, but got a resonse user already exists. And I wanted the guest users not to have to login, but use the true (simplified) enrolment mechanism to get into the course.

I considered creating a new role that mostly inherited from student (which sounds like the main idea of the earlier discussion.

I was/am hoping for someone to tell me about another variable somewhere that I haven't seen that I can click on to make my guest role changes active, and do what they say the guest role elements indicate.

Thank you,