Synchronous Chat with 20 people

Synchronous Chat with 20 people

by Warren Linds -
Number of replies: 8
Is this possible in moodle? How?
I see there is something called Chat Module. Does that have to be activated by our moodle administrator? (I don't see it on my Moodle page)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Warren Linds

Odp: Synchronous Chat with 20 people

by Łukasz Sanokowski -
Of course it is possible. You need to add chat activity in your course. Chat is defaultly installed and enabled in every Moodle package.
In reply to Łukasz Sanokowski

Re: Odp: Synchronous Chat with 20 people

by Warren Linds -
Does it have to be added by the administrator?
In reply to Warren Linds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
The administrator needs to look in siteadmin on the front page and then Modules>activities>manage activities and ensure the chat module has its eye open - that means, it is available. Then in your course you click on Add an Activity and Chat should appear as an option.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Warren Linds -
Under my Adminstration in my course (I don't have admin privileges) there is no "Add an Activity" . Is that where it is supposed to be?
In reply to Warren Linds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No- if you go to your course and turn the editing on you should get two boxes in each section - one saying Add a Resource and one saying Add an Activity. Chat should be in the latter - if it's been switched on by your admin. I presume you have teacher privileges?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Warren Linds -
Thanks. Yes, I see it now.

So, I can do synchronous chat with this with a whole class of 20 people?
In reply to Warren Linds

by Mary Cooch -
Well in theory, yes, although depending on your set up it might slow your system down.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by e van Trigt -

Does anyone have exprience with chats with a large number of students?

Until what extent (of users) can a separate server be used to host the chat service?