Grade User Report different from instructor grader report view 1.9.2

Grade User Report different from instructor grader report view 1.9.2

by April Qian -
Number of replies: 11
Hi there,

We are running 1.9.2 this quarter. An instructor has the grades entered and from his grader report everything looks correct. No special calculation is used, just default Sum of grades for the categories of assignments, exams, and course total. However the student view (user report when logged in as an individual student), one of the category totals is not the same and the course total is not the same as instructor's view. The numbers in student view don't seem to correlate with any kind of calculation (mean, etc.) just randomly wrong.

Has anyone run into this problem and what are the possible causes and fixes? Since from the system administration menu the user report options are very limited, I am very puzzled as to how the user report got messed up and how to fix it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
In reply to April Qian

Re: Grade User Report different from instructor grader report view 1.9.2

by Marisa Sudano -
I don't have a solution, but I have had the same thing occur in one of my courses. The other courses seem to be fine and seem to have the same sum of grades. It is absolutely puzzling me.
In reply to April Qian

by Ron Meske -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
If you can provide some additional information, someone may be able to better identify the problem.
  • Are there any add-ons being used, or is this a standard install?
  • What type of graded activities are being used?
  • Have you looked at the detailed activity report for one of the students with an issue? This may identify where the difference is coming from.
  • Did the instructor modify any of the report settings for the course or leave them at the Report default?
  • Did the instructor modify or manually enter any grades or are they all calculated by Moodle.
You will also want to look at the Grades documentation, especially the section on Settings affecting grades.
In reply to April Qian

回應: Grade User Report different from instructor grader report view 1.9.2

by Karol Chiu -
I had exactly the same problems as yours, the student's grades are different from what i saw in my(teacher's) gradebook. The grades in my gradebook are correct but in theirs are wrong. But I Had edited some grades manually, is that the reason? It seems that there is no solution yet.
In reply to Karol Chiu

回應: Grade User Report different from instructor grader report view 1.9.2

by Karol Chiu -
I used open the edit mode in the gradebook, and edit the calculation manually, one of my course's grade are all correct, but the other course's grade still have problem. Maybe you can tried to edit calculation! But I still don't know the reason that one course can be corrected and the other can't.
In reply to April Qian

by Brigitte Baquero -

Hi!!

I have the same problem, Has someone the solution?

I need help!!!!
In reply to Brigitte Baquero

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

I don't think editing grades directly in the gradebook could result in category and course totals being different for student and teacher, however I'm just wondering whether it's caused by grades being hidden and/or locked. Please could you check and let us know what you find.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Chris Potter -
Helen,

We're having a similar issue where the instructor sees one set of grades (seemingly accurate) and the student sees another different grade (quite inaccurate). I've been trying to crunch some numbers to find out where it's even getting the result from. You can see below the same user in the same course in two different views has two different sets of results. I've verified that all items and categories are set to "Sum of Grades". The instructor has even tried setting all grade values to 0 in hopes that they would be removed from calculation for now. Any thoughts?

Instructor:

Instructor View

Student:

Student View
In reply to Chris Potter

by Fig Newton -
I have just experienced the same error on the user grade report (the grade does not match the instructors' report).

In my case, I had just opened several old quizzes for a student who had been absent. Now it seems that although the scores are listed for my other students, the overall grade doe not include their scores for those assignments.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Dan Boisvert -
This issue is being tracked: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-16817

We had to deal with this issue as well at UNC Charlotte. I don't know enough to know the underlying cause, but the immediate cause seems to be using the Sum of Grades aggregation while also hiding some grade items. The solution was to just unhide all of the grade items.

Dan
In reply to Dan Boisvert

by Elena Ivanova -
In some sense it is similar to 1.8.
If instructor sets "Show Hidden Items" to Yes, then he will see one grade for a student. Student, on the other hand, will see another grade, which does not include hidden items in calculations.

1.9 also has this in Settings. So, I would try to set "Show hidden items" to No, or put hidden items into the category that does not worth anything.
In reply to April Qian

by Christopher Murad -
Has there been a Moodle Bug Tracker Created for this issue? Maybe I'm just not finding it, and my search skills are not on point this morning.